Topic

fish stink in bear country

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara fish stink in bear country

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gabbart

@bobg

Hello,

I’m new to fly fishing. This summer I’m planning on taking it with me to the Sierras.

We go through alot of trouble to keep food odors off us and away from camp. What do you do about fish stink on your rod? You handle the fish and then pick up your rod so it gets on the rod. Do you wash you hands every time after handling fish? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Bob

Bob Gabbart

@bobg

Any thoughts on keeping fish-stink free when backcountry fishing in bear country?

Thanks,
    Bob

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

I just do my best to wash up – but I’ve never washed the rod or fishing tackle.

I usually carry some wet wipes & a vial of dr. bronners for washing me.

most of my backpacks with fishing are above treeline & haven’t even seen bears. maybe just been lucky.

if i were in grizzly country, I think I’d worry more & probably would wash the rod & tackle.

Robert Miller

@procab

Bob,

Here is a short video regarding bears and fishing that may be helpful.

Robert

cat morris

@catt

Locale: Alaska

Yep! Combat salmon fishing in Alaska! I think I’ve seen that brown bear!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools