Topic

Green Trails maps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I plan on doing the Wonderland Trail next year and was told that the Green Trail maps are the best. But I have to buy 6 in an order. Has anyone ever gotten just one map from them?

Does this map show elevations? Next best map to choose from? Or would anyone like to sell me their used map??? : )

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

If you live in WA state or at least backpack or hike there enough to make it worth while, you could buy the WA state software from the likes of National Geographic Topo or memory-map.com. These are USGS maps in software that you can then print out and carry with you.

They won't, however, have the particular trail that you want. Topo might allow you to download someone else's work in mapping the trail trace. That trace might be out of date in places as that particular trail has perhaps been moved a bit due to some major storm damage a few years back (?).

Green trails or USGS paper maps are expensive if you have to buy very many of them. The actual trails marked on the green trail maps are great; I prefer the 1:25,000 scale I can get on USGS maps, however, and can often find a trail trace for where I want to go. The freeware http://www.gpsbabel.org/ can be used to convert trail data that you find elsewhere into a form that your particular software can load and work with.

Seth Tanner

@sethtan

oo

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

I could try the REI here in Virginia. I don't need six maps of the PNW area. I'm lucky if get out there next year. I just need the 2 of the Wonderland trail.

If REI doesn't have them here, I may take you up on your offer, Seth. I would pay for the post and maps.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

You only need the two main maps for Rainier, not the 3rd Paradise one (unless you really want it that is!)

Suggestion: Either coat them or keep them in a freezer bag. They are paper. I just fold mine and freezer bag.

They do show milesage nicely, by logical sections, making planning for easy. Elevation is shown as topo lines, with major landmarks having elevation posted (such as summits, passes, etc).

They are my favorite to use for the area. While the Nat Geo one is waterproof I find the GT ones to be a bit more indepth.

Though…it doesn't hurt to have both with you in the end – they do have different focuses.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

And as well….out here you can buy the maps almost everywhere it seems! They also sell maps at http://www.whittakermountaineering.com/ as you are driving into Ashford on the way to the Nisqually entrance (ie..Longmire) and at Wapati Woolies in Greenwater on the way to Sunrise/White River.

And…there is an REI in Tukwila (Southcenter) just a few minutes from Sea-Tac airport….

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Thanks, Sarah. I just like to look over maps before my trip. It will help me figure my mileage and side trails when I apply for a permit. I could get the natgeo first and then pick the others up later.

Virginia isn't known for it's outdoorsy lifestyle.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

In all honesty, WA TOPO by NatGeo is a good investment – then you can see daily elevation gains and loss. As well, you can see side trails.

On the WT there isn't a huge amount of side trails that are big – most are shorter ones (say like going up to Fremont Lookout or Burroughs 1 and 2).

Do get this book if you haven't:
    Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail: Encircling Mount Rainier by Bette Filley.

It will help you SO much with planning – what side trails to take, where the best water is, etc. Really takes any anxiety or wondering if you are missing anything :-)

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

I ordered it yesterday via Barnes and Nobles for $10 by the time I used all kinds of coupons and discounts. : )

I'm a visual learner, so maps are fun for me.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I understand :-) I love playing with TOPO 3D. That is fun! Seeing the angle of the ridges is cool!

BTW, I had time today and was inspired so I wrote this up:
    http://blog.trailcooking.com/2010/01/30/winter-daydreaming-planning-a-wonderland-trip/

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Nice, Sarah. I did find a website, Northwest Maps, that will sell Green Trail maps as a single for $6 each. So I should be able to get my hands on #269 and #270.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools