Topic

length of zipper for a down bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear length of zipper for a down bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Colin Parkinson
    BPL Member

@parkinson1157

Locale: Ontario Canada

Here is my dilemma I have a zip less SD moonlight bag (1# 6oz), very light but useless unless near its 30f temp rating, too warm. Anyway I am going to add a zipper to the bag. I know more weight, but makes the bag more useful.

So I have two questions:
    1) Draft tube?
    2) length of zipper? I was thinking to my waist, or would to my kness be better.
    Thnaks fro all replys

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I think you'll find that trying to add a draft tube on, after the fact, will be a big problem. What is reasonable and necessary is a snagless fabric strip alongside the new zipper. If you don't insert that, you will curse yourself every time the zipper snags.

–B.G.–

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Make it a quilt!!!

But to answer your questions

A draft tube is needed unless you put the zipper low enough that it will be under you side, but not the most comfy solution. You can use an anti snag backing or you can sew a few lines of stitching through the draft tube to keep the fabric tight to avoid snags, yes it does take some loft from the tube but shouldn't have a real impact on temp rating

I would suggest zipper to the knees or a bit lower, i have converted bags for people with 1/2zip that they hated because they couldn't vent their legs/feet (I converted them to quilts)

-Tim

Colin Parkinson
    BPL Member

@parkinson1157

Locale: Ontario Canada

The reason I don't make a quilt is the draft factor from being a side sleeper. And yes I have made and tried a quilt before (a RJ style), the draft coming in around by back was very uncomfortable especially near 5c.

I will take your advise a make the zipper don to my knee area.

The draft tube will be a separate tube filled with down, with a crossgrain backer against the zipper to prevent snags.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools