Topic

Where to find Mid Pole?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Where to find Mid Pole?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I have made several mids/tipi's recently, and I have just used my treking poles strapped together for support. I am now going to be making a 9' tall version and I am going to need a longer center support.

Does anyone know where I can get some aluminum center pole pieces such as the ones for the shangrila 3 or 4 that i can make 9' tall?

Thanks

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

You could probably buy 2 Golite shangri-la pole supports, and cannibalize the sections from one pole and add them to the other to extend its length.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/GoLite-Adjustable-Pole/GOL0238M.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=GOL0336&mv_pc=r126 (on sale for $27)

You could also probably buy a Kifaru or Titanium goat pole of that length.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Fibraplex will make a nice custom pole for you. Extremely low weight, but pricey.
    –B.G.–

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Hi Bob,

Will Fibraplex make a "thicker pole" for a mid? I've ordered from them in the past and have checked their website to consider having something made up but there is nothing (or I have not been able to find it) on the website about larger diameter poles. All I've been able to find on their website is the 292 poles, which are way too thin and flimsy for a center pole for a mid or tipi.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

What's wrong with .292" diameter?

You aren't trying to get one fifteen feet long, are you?

–B.G.–

D G
    Spectator

@dang

I've got a .292 diameter fibraplex pole. For a typical height of say 5-6 feet, there is no way that pole can withstand the compression force of a typical pyramid shelter. It will start to bend and once it does, it just can't support the vertical load. I've tried it on my hex 3, and to say the results where less than unsatisfactory would be quite an understatement.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

How much weight are you trying to support? Is this made out of buffalo hide or something heavy?

For lightweight tents, I find the carbon fiber poles to be excellent, and I have never seen any bend in mine.

–B.G.–

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I am looking for about 9 feet. I guess the golite route would only be about $70, so that is not too bad.

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

Check quest outfitters,
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm

they have aluminium pole segments up to 0.75 in thick.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I believe that dimension is a diameter, not a thickness.

–B.G.–

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I tried using my TiGoat poles on my Hex 3 and the amount of bend was scary. No way would i have felt comortable using them. I would be looking for a lot more than .292" dia.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

It's not the weight of the shelter, but the downward force of the stakes required to get a tight pitch in these shelters. If you have a square pyramid and only use 4 stakes at each corner, and it's a very calm day you could probably pitch it loose and the thin pole would be adequate. But once you start adding stakes and try to get a tight pitch, (like you would want if you are expecting high winds) the downward force on the single pole is considerable. Add some snow and all bets are off.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I tried using my TiGoat poles on my Hex 3 and the amount of bend was scary. No way would i have felt comortable using them. I would be looking for a lot more than .292" dia."

So, let me get this straight. You did not try the Fibraplex poles, did you?

–B.G.–

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

You could try Fibraplex. They used to, and still do if I read their site correctly, make a 5/8" diameter tarp pole that might be stout enough for that height. I would send them an email about it – they called it the "Pinnacle" tarp pole, and they still show some versions of it in their price list. Look here:
    http://fibraplex.com/tentpoles2B.asp
    and sctroll down to replacement pole sets; you'll see Pinnacle 62 and Pinnacle 48. The question will be whether you can get a custom pole with that same tubing, and whether it would be stiff enough for that height.
    Also, Kelty makes some adjustable poles:
    https://www.kelty.com/p-134-adjustable-pole.aspx
    that might work for you. another idea is an avalanche probe. You can get various lengths and diameters and weights, in aluminum and also carbon I think. I know some guys who use them as mid poles for ski trips, since they already have them on board.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I've never seen an avalanche pole that was that seriously strong. I've used them in a lightweight arch over a snow shelter, but never as a structural beam like it seems like is under discussion here.

–B.G.–

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

I have used the pole from a golf ball retreiver (the long poles with a cup at the end for getting you ball out of the pond). They are telescoping and adjustable. You can cut them down to make the carrying length packable. The tubing is strong alum. and it is pretty cheap, too. Scott

Brett Rasmussen
    BPL Member

@ascientist

Locale: Grants Pass, Oregon

The carbon fiber pole used in the Black Diamond Mega Light is the best center pole I have found for Mid's of a similar size. It's the lightest pole I have found that dose not have to be custom made and is still plenty strong. It can be purchased here:
    http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/spare-parts
    More information on the pole here:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/black_diamond_mega_light_mega_bug_tent_review.html

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

As i said Bob, i used TiGoat poles.
    I would love to see a photo of your .292" dia carbon pole set up in a Hex 3 or similar style mid without any bend in it. Makes you wonder why BD use an 18.mm dia pole in their Mids.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I do not have either of those products, so I can't show you a photo of Fibraplex poles in use with them.

I had my Fibraplex poles custom cut for the proper length for my own shelter. Works good. Lasts a long time. For a lightweight shelter, they have zero bend.

–B.G.–

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Ben —

If you go with the Go-Lite poles, ProLite Gear has them on sale for $24.98 each:

http://www.prolitegear.com/golite_adjustable_shelter_pole.html

Free shipping if you get your total order to at least $50 (2 poles + something at 4 cents or more — maybe one foot of 2mm Eidelweiss accessory cord @ 11 cents/ft(:>)

Sure are heavy at ProLite's 15 oz estimate per pole.

If that estimate is accurate, Go-Lite seems to have added weight to the pole. I have one that is "only" 13 oz.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Richard, aren't there two different generations of poles? One was 13 and one was 11 ounces. Prolite may have the older version, or maybe the only thing old is their data.

–B.G.–

D G
    Spectator

@dang

I've got that exact same pole (SL 4/6/8).

Weighs 14.2 oz

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

B.G. —

Yes, it does appear GoLite has sold variations of a pole that breaks down with shock cord holding the sections together, and which can be extended to various lengths.

I have these two.

One is silver, aluminum, weighs 12.61 oz, can be extended 61.75" to 75.5" via pop-up button, & folds to 17.75"

The other is brown, aluminum, weighs 12.96 oz, can be extended 57.25" to 70" via pop-up button, & folds to 17"

And then, there's GoLite's Hex 3 pole, which is blue and silver, aluminum, weighs 12.21 oz, can be extended 59" to 67" via sliding ring (as I recall), & folds to 15.25"

JR

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools