Topic

Ohio Backpackers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Ohio Backpackers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Colin Dunlap
    BPL Member

@blackknights

I'm just curious as to how many Ohio backpackers there are on here. I live in the Cincinnati area and I am constantly looking for someone to hike/backpack with (brothers too young, no other Eagle Scouts I know enjoy hiking like I do). I leave for college, possibly West Point, in June/July, so I would like to get in a few backpacking trips between now and then.

Ryan Klym

@breaks

Locale: Flat Ohio

Greetings — I'm up in Cols and sneak out into the backcountry from time to time. Working on a backcountry fishing trip over Memorial Day weekend with a few guys — we're all 30's/40's so not sure if you want to hang out with "old" guys ha ha.

Due to work and family vaca, I couldn't do anything in the June/July time-frame, but do have a buddy in Cinci that may be up for a trip.

Colin Dunlap
    BPL Member

@blackknights

I see. I've noticed that there aren't many 18,19,20 year olds on here. At least I haven't seen any.

Colin Dunlap
    BPL Member

@blackknights

Is your friend on this site?

chris arvin
    BPL Member

@kychris

Locale: Red River Gorge Area

Have you tried the Cincy meetup group on meetup.com? There's also a group in Dayton and Louisville, KY. I've joined them all even though I live in KY because they have trips all over from Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee. I just signed up for a trip to Hoosier National Forest with the Louisville Group.

I've had a great time with these groups and met a lot of fun and different people. It really helps out when you don't have any backpacking friends.

Colin Dunlap
    BPL Member

@blackknights

I will try that. Thank you

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

Yeah, thanks for the heads up on that site. I had no idea that site was even out there.

I'd love to get in on that HNF hike. I go there a couple times a year.

I'm in the Indianapolis Area and I need to find some new hiking partners.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Meetup can often be a good option for finding trips in the area, but they don't really cater to those looking to do higher mileage trips. Of course it's harder to find long enough trails in the area to begin with, but most of the trips with Louisville, Indy, etc, max out at about 8-10mpd.

I've got a list of people looking to do some higher mileage weekend trips this spring (15-25mpd Friday night/Sat/Sun trips). Let me know if you are interested and I'll keep you in the loop.

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

Yeah, I noticed it's a bit on the average level since the group is so diverse. I'd prefer higher mileage and to hang with a group a little more aggressive and experienced. I'll send you a PM with my email address so you can add me in your list.

Can't say 25 mile days sounds all that fun unless your doing a through hike and trying to make time. I prefer the ~15 arena. I assume your talking about backpacking, not day hikes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools