Topic

Hip Belts and Belt Belts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Hip Belts and Belt Belts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    James Dubendorf
    Spectator

@dubendorf

Locale: CO, UT, MA, ME, NH, VT

Hello All,

This may seem like a silly question, but I am wondering how folks deal with the region where the hip belt meets the top of your pants, shorts, etc. I know some hikers prefer a high-riding hip belt, while others prefer a lower fit. If you use a belt to hold your pants up, where does it sit relative to the waist belt of your pack? Above, under, on top of? Do you avoid belts altogether? Just curious…

Thanks,
    James

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

The belt on my pants rides just below the hip belt, but since it has a nasty habit of coming loose, I tend to actually tie it to my hip belt to keep everything together. It's a bit of a pain, but you do what you have to.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

One alternative is to choose a belt with small, flat, unobtrusive buckle. This way, both can be at the same height (middle riding), if you will.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I wrestle with this too. Usually I hike my pants up and buckle my hipbelt under my other pant belt. This sucks. It is not comfortable and makes it hard to get to my zipper without undoing my hipbelt.

Obviously if I had a pair of pants that fit better it would be nice!

I do have 1 pair that fits well but they have a substantial cotton content so I only wear them on summer dayhikes. I also have a pair of OR Exos softshell pants [which ROCK, BTW (18oz)] that fit well and have a built in low profile belt buckle. With both of these pants that fit well, belted or not, I can comfortably use my hipbelt over the waistband area.

In my experience the less padded hipbelts give the most comfort over more clothing.

James Naphas
    BPL Member

@naphas13

Locale: SoCal

I wear pants like REI Sahara that have a integral light webbing belt with a flat plastic buckle. I find that the less bulk under the hipbelt the better.

Also, hipbelts can ride a little higher or lower depending on the pack's design. I've got three packs, and none of them ride in exactly the same place, but all end up being comfortable.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I find a leather belt and normal buckle are just not very compatible with a backpack and hip belt. the belt makes a painful lump on the hip bone, and the metal buckle wants to fight with the hip belt buckle.

Instead I use a nylon strap and buckle for a belt when backpacking. It's a 1" strap with a squeeze-release buckle I picked up at REI years ago. The buckle is quite thin, flat, and produces none of the problems a regular belt buckle has. I splurged and got myself a new one this past year! It's secure and can't be felt under the hip belt. The buckle usually starts above the hip belt, but sometimes ends up below. In other words, the belt/buckle becomes a non-issue.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"I wear pants like REI Sahara that have a integral light webbing belt with a flat plastic buckle. I find that the less bulk under the hipbelt the better."

Definitely subjective here — I wear REI Sahara with the integrated belt / plastic buckle as well. I find it flat and unobtrusive enough that it doesn't get in the way.

But here's another idea. Replace your belt with a length of double-sided velcro! Lighter, no buckle at all, and great for "micro adjusting"! Also, you can cut off a shorter section to replace your watchband.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

Right now the pants I use are too large (lost significant weight and I'm too cheap to by new ones) so I can wear a belt and pull the waist up past the hip belt on the pack.

When the pants fit correctly I ended up carrying the belt with me in the pack and only put it one when I had the pack off. I just couldn't find any belt that was comfortable with the hip belt over it.

Roy Staggs

@onepaddlejunkie

Locale: SEC

I use this – http://www.unclemikesle.com/products/belts_bags_gloves/belts/belts_deluxe_inner_duty.html – belt if the pants I’m using don’t come with their own belt. After I bought the first one and used it for a while, I ordered a second just in case I wore out, lost, tore up or otherwise was deprived of the first belt. That has been eight or ten years ago and the first belt is still going strong and I use it for everyday wear. On a belt scale of 1 – 10, I give it a 10 pants up.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

The Uncle Mikes belt looks like a great idea. All I need to do is to look into replacing the belt on my pack with some belt loops and just use the Uncle Mikes to hold the pack down and the pants up.
    OUCH!
    Bitten by the MYOG Bug!!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Uncle Mikes — 1.5" is unnecessarily wide. The REI one I posted above is 1.0". But IMO, 0.5" is plenty wide. Hopefully, someone can link a half- inch version.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

My current hiking pants have a small integral belt. When I hiked with other pants I used a military surpluse belt. For a while walmart sold a webbing strap with a buckle in the sporting goods area. Not sure if it was a meant to be a belt or not but we used them.

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

+1
    For the price, WalMart's strap next to the packs in the sporting goods section is the way to go.

As Henry Ford said, "You can have any color you want, as long as it is black."

JR Redding

@grinchmt

I made a belt from grosgrain at JoAnn and used a quick release clip… http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd34408

Just wear it like a normal belt under the hip belt, never notice it's there.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I avoid belts altogether, none of my pants/shorts have more than a drawstring.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools