Topic

Non-woven Dyneema

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Non-woven Dyneema

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

FWIW (This may be old news): "CiloGear is proud to announce our newest WorkSacks, the Non-Woven Dyneema® series. Made to supply maximum strength with the absolute minimum weight, our Non-Woven Dyneema® fabrics are truly amazing. These packs have the best tear performance on a weight and thickness basis of any packs in the world. They are remarkably abrasion resistant for such light material. All NWD packs are also field repairable with Seam Grip." (I have no financial interest in CiloGear.)

Patrick Caulder
    BPL Member

@pcaulder

Locale: SouthEast

part of it looks like a heavy cuben. I'm not real sure though.

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

I would have thought Non-woven Dyneema was cuben by another name. I have been testing cuben and it often fails by the 2 plys delaminating. I would have thought woven dyneema mesh covered in the same membranes would be a, perhaps small, improvement.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Yeah, take a look at the bottom of the 60L NWD Worksack though.. There seems to be a diamond grid of dyneema or something.

Actually, if you look closer, you can see it all over. It's like a diamond weave rip-stop pattern..

Man 26oz on the 60L, and they describe some sort of full framing on the others.. I wish there were more details on this site.. Not that I'll ever pay $750 for a freakin pack.

Patrick Caulder
    BPL Member

@pcaulder

Locale: SouthEast

I think that might be the dimension polyant stuff on the bottom. They definately look pretty nice, but those prices are WAY out of my budget.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

CiloGear makes some real nice alpine and climbing packs and the founder Graham is a great guy- I hung out with him and crew at OR last week.

They have Non Woven Dyneema packs that are various style of Cuben and they also have pure woven Dyneema with various backings and even some combination of fabrics in the same pack.

Lots of great super tough fabric choices used by top level climbers the world over.

In the BP and sailing world Cuben is the main name- in many other areas it's Non Woven Dyneema.

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

Hmmm …. 75 litres and 800 grams – amazing

but US$1250? OMG

R S

@rps76

Sorry to bump this ancient thread to the top, but is this true? NWD Dyneema is the same as Cuben? Reason I'm asking: I'm looking for the "perfect" fabric for a pack. I want it super strong, yet really light. If I could, I would just drop the money on a NWD 45L from Graham, but that's just not feasible right now.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I'm almost certain NWD is cuben. The question is which variant. Normal cuben comes with varying amount of spectra and the outer mylar layers vary in thickness. For example, CT2K.18 means it's from 'Cubic Tech' and it has '2K' of spectra and the mylar is .18 thick (units?). Then there's all sorts of variations like 'high bias' (cuben on 4 angles instead of 2), wp/b (uses ptfe instead of mylar), hybrid cuben (part cuben, part nylon) etc.

IMO, the 1.5oz (CT5K.18) cuben is great stuff. It's far more durable for a pack than a light fabric like silnylon, while not being quite as durable as a more traditional fabric like 210D nylon dyneema X. You wouldn't want to drag 1.5oz cuben around on rocks, but with reasonable care it will last a very long time. Rodents can barely chew through this stuff. This is a good material for SUL packs and light frameless packs, but if you're going to go with a more fully featured and/or light framed pack then I'd probably opt for 210D nylon dyneema x for a few extra ounces. This 1.5oz cuben makes a big difference for a SUL pack when the pack weighs 4oz instead of 8oz, but it's not such a big difference when a 26oz pack becomes a 22oz pack because most of the weight is in features and padding.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools