Topic

My $10, 8oz, 8″, sauté/pan-fry/eggs/pancakes no scorch setup.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition My $10, 8oz, 8″, sauté/pan-fry/eggs/pancakes no scorch setup.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Just dropping this for those out there that, like me, want a realistic setup for eggs/pancakes/sautéing/french toast, whatever.. I know most FBC types don't care about this, but some of us like more elaborate meals.

1. Ti sucks for this at the thicknesses the fry pans are made in. Also, the 8" Ti fry pans I've seen, weigh in around 5oz with handles. Here's my pan:Pan with pot lifter

Here's the weight on my 1/10th gram scale in oz mode(without the lifter):Pot on scale without lifter

2. Pot lifter is a better option than using your fingers if you do more than just FBC, here's one i slimmed down. If you just boil water, this is a waste, otherwise, this is better than built in handles because it becomes multi-use.pot lifter

3. Finally, here's an alcohol stove I made in the pepsi-can style with the bottom of two (big) heineken keg cans. 2.5oz fuel capacity, will burn for over 30mins, wider setup heats evenly and disperses heat in a more ideal manner for sauté. We made french toast and fried eggs this morning with this setup.
    stove on scalestove flame pattern

So, here's a half pound setup, by itself. Best of all, I paid about $10 total. The pan was $5 at "The Dollar General" store, the pot lifter was $3 at a local outfitter, the stove I made myself. This will save even more weight if you take handle-less pots and use the lifter, although if you already just used a mitt, no savings I guess.

Just an example, if anybody wants more details, I'll be happy to oblige.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Nice Javan!

Do you use a potstand or just hold the pan over the flame?

Thanks,
    Todd

JR Redding

@grinchmt

Javan I appreciate the post. While I am mostly a FBC person, we are wanting a decent fry pan (at least 8 inches) that is lightweight. I have been experimenting will kinds of crap and have spent more on this endeavor than I cared to. All of our home cookware is heavy duty stuff and it never really dawned on me to look for something cheap and remove the handle. I thought they weighed alot more than 6 ounces.

Thanks again.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Personally, I use a pot stand, but there's no reason you cant get by without one, especially for quick cook things like fried eggs. It's mostly just a matter of patience, but if you have a steady hand, holding it gives the advantage of being able to control heat by height, however, the lifter will conduct heat over time.

I'm just using a 5 cell high piece of hardware cloth in a tube shape about 4-5" in diameter at the moment. Works great for the price, but adds about another 15g. There are lighter options though.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Not bad! I use a GSI lid as a frypan (from a Bugaboo Backpackers Set) that is 8" or so across. Don't feel guilty at all when I use it ;-) Frypans have their place!

JR Redding

@grinchmt

I found a 3 pan set at Wal-Mart for 12 bucks on the clearance rack today. The 8 inch model WITH handle weighs 6.5 ounce. The 10 inch one weighs 8.1 ounces. Going to remove the handles later and see what the final weight is.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Joe, sounds badass, let me know what they weigh without the handle and if the Al is thick enough for even heat.

I'll make you a wide-body alkie stove for frying/sauteing if you need one.

JR Redding

@grinchmt

Hi Javan – I took the handle off the 8 inch pan and that took the weight to 4.7 ounces. I gave it a try on my Primus Gravity which has a wide patterned flame. It worked excellent. The bottom is thicker than the sides and that made a big difference I think.

I misstated the weight of the 10 inch pan, it is 8.6 ounces. I imagine with the handle off it's about 6.5 ounces making even it a good thing to carry when my wife and daughter are with me.

Thanks for the offer on the alcohol stove, but I have several wide ones I made from Fosters cans already. I would imagine with a little tweaking I can slow down the burn rate on those to make them usable under a pan.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Can you give me any info on these Joe? I want to look for some myself..

JR Redding

@grinchmt

They were just a generic 3 pack labeled "Mainstays". Blue and White label. I saw hem in the regular isle for 22 bucks then found these in the clearance isle for 12. It's a 3 pan set, 8, 10, and 12 inches.

JR Redding

@grinchmt

So I messed around with this today and fried a hamburger. It heated evenly. The best benefit is that the bottom of the pan is grooved. Combined that with my serrated stove legs and the pan doesn't slide around meaning I don't have to use my pot lifter while I am cooking. It was a nice bonus. Going to remove the handle off the 10 incher over the weekend and see how it does.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Awesome, thanks Joe!

JR Redding

@grinchmt

We tried a number of things in this fry pan with 3 different stoves. I had great results with the Optimus Crux Lite and an optional Brunton Remote Stand. I got great flame control and the wider head of the Optimus gives even heat.

We did pancakes, fry bread, eggs, stir fry, sautee'd Zucchini in butter, there wasn't any problems with anything we cooked.

For 4 ounces, it's definitely hitting the trails with me this summer.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools