Topic

What’s your favorite rain jacket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What’s your favorite rain jacket?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Unfortunately, the Zealot was discontinued so unless you are able to find one used or "old stock" you can't get one anymore.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I like my Cabela's GTX PacLite Rainy River parka for its low cost (now $99.) and geat design and quality. Pants are the same price.

But if I were a bit more flush with money I'd get an REI eVent parka.

SEAN, My size Large, Tall Cabela's PacLite parka (not jacket) weighs 15 oz. That OR Zealot PacLite jacket in Large must be gossamer thin to weigh only 7 oz.! Does it have a hood? Pockets? My parka has 2 large, mesh backed chest (rib) pockets I use for venting.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

too bad they discontinued it

it's a great little jacket

though a windshirt or e-vent breathes better, i've slept in it a couple times with no condensation or sweat issues

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

"That OR Zealot PacLite jacket in Large must be gossamer thin to weigh only 7 oz.! Does it have a hood? Pockets? My parka has 2 large, mesh backed chest (rib) pockets I use for venting."

It is composed of just the gortex layers so I guess it is kind of thin. There is no innner mesh liner or anything. It had a hood (or it would suck as a rain jacket), a single breast zip pocket and no ventilation options other then unzipping the front (which is one of the main reasons for its weight).

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

Well wifey liked the Essence, although she only wore it for the first half hour or so when the temp was in the low 40's, then on breaks. I think we'll modify it to eliminate the breast pocket…don't see any need for it, and will reduce the weight by a little.

My experiment with water proofing my wind shirt…I didn't notice a big difference in breath-ability while hiking. We didn't have any rain, so I shower tested it when I got home. The fabric seemed to repel water very nicely, but of course the seams and especially the zipper leaked. While I could tape the seems and sew a flap in front of the zipper to make it more rain worthy, I think I'll just wait for my new Essence to come in. If it breathes reasonably well, it will be a big win in weight savings. If not, I'll be searching out other materials…

…does anyone know if GORE-TEX® or eVent® breath better than MemBrain®Strataâ„¢ or Nylon Ripstop Fabric with DWR?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

The quick and dirty…. Nylon thats been treated w/ DWR (as seen in windshirts) are the most breathable, but at the cost of being not truly water proof. eVent has been rated at 30,000 breathability, so it's the best out of all the truly waterproof membranes and laminates*. Marmot's MembrainStrata membrane is rated at 20,000. Depending on what kind of goretex you have, and what year, its breathability will be different. Its worthy to note that breathability ratings don't result from any industry standard of testing (or so ive read. Jason Klass has a video on his site of what the actual goretex company does to test its breathability against eVent, in an attempt to argue that the are equal…it was hilariously primitive) so the numbers all need to be taken with a grain of salt. However my own personal experience with all 3 (an eVent rab drillium, a marmot essence, and goretex proshell arcteryx alpha sv) tell me that the eVent is def. more breathable of all 3. I recalled my marmot being more breathable than my arcteryx, but at the same time, my arcteryx has a very heavy shell fabric which I'm sure skews the results. Might be different if it were say goretex paclite

*Also i have zero experience with Driducks brand, which may be the most breathable of all, but at the compromise of durability

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

In my experience eVENT is better than any current form of gore-tex and any PU based membrane I have tried. But while breathability is important, but it isn't the full story. Air permeability greatly impacts people's perception of comfort. This was discussed a bit on patagonia's note on testing fabric.. percent of naked and a journal article that found that air permeability better indication then vapor transmission.

Personally, I find that when I am working hard, that I start to get internal accumulation of moisture in every material I have used when the temp is above around 45F. Of course, this also holds true for materials that how have a membrane but are just 100% windblocking like they typical 3oz windshirt.

–mark

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

""It seems like TNF Triumph is a good choice, being the lightest WPB fabric at 5.5oz, but there's some controversy on this weight. Can someone confirm the actual weight/size? A bit pricey at $179, and it's a pull-over, meaning if useds as a wind shirt/rain jacket combo, you have limited control of heat.""

FYI
    My size XL weighs 180g (6.34oz) unmodified, on a very accurate scale.

I bought this TNF Triumph just last month at a Backcounty.com closeout. They are getting hard to find.
    Have not used it yet but I can see it becoming my "goto" SUL outer shell. Exactly what I was looking for.

Gordon Towne
    BPL Member

@gordontowne

Locale: New England

+1

My XL Triumph came to exactly the same weight on my scale: 6.34 oz. My impression of this jacket so far is very good.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Has anyone actually measured the breathability of Driducks jackets? I use the Rainshield version as my main Rain jacket and I love it. I have always been curious as to the exact measurement of breathability for this jacket though. I wonder if it is close to eVent's breathability at 27,800 g/24hrs/m^2 (if I remember correctly).

-Sid

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Personally, I find that when I am working hard, that I start to get internal accumulation of moisture in every material I have used when the temp is above around 45F"

Under those conditions, why not just hike in your baselayer and throw the rain shell on at rest stops/camp?

Elena Lee
    BPL Member

@lenchik101

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)

I would say GoLite's Vigra is not very effective. It consistently gets soak when it actually rains (not just little drizzle). My husband and i kind of take it for granted that at some point we will be wet underneath. So not completely waterproof. it would be a good choice in dry places and where prolonged rain is not expected.

Devin Konecny

@pupuplader

I have an REI Ultra Light, I was caught in a hour downpour in it and didnt get wet. Though my pockets held about 1" of water in them. Great versatility and comes with a stuff sack.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I notice nobody mentions ponchos/capes.

I tend to wear a short cape in the North East. I do get wet and they can suck when you have to use your hands on steep trails, but, they do allow a lot of air flow, are very light and can be used for other functions.
    I also wear a hooded wind shirt underneath and in fact the cape only gets used in the worst kind of rain.

I'm not that experienced, so may not be aware of the shortcomings. Anyone want to clue me in?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned this superbly breathable jacket with its minimalist design. No hand pockets, one chest pocket, non adjustable hood which fits most heads nicely, 10 oz in a size medium. Best general purpose WPB jacket I've ever owned. 10 oz in a medium.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

"Personally, I find that when I am working hard, that I start to get internal accumulation of moisture in every material I have used when the temp is above around 45F"

"Under those conditions, why not just hike in your baselayer and throw the rain shell on at rest stops/camp?"

Or something very light that doesn't PRETEND to breathe like an AGG silnylon jacket with a comfy close fitting cozy breathable base layer for comfort next to skin to keep you warm and not bugged by the condensation.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Alpha Sl pullover or Sl jacket, awesome and around 10oz. not bad on price for what the jacket is (300CAD)

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

>> "Personally, I find that when I am working hard, that I start to get internal
    >>accumulation of moisture in every material I have used when the temp is above around 45F"

> "Under those conditions, why not just hike in your baselayer and throw the rain shell on at rest stops/camp?"

Because some internal accumulation isn't nearly as chilling as soaked to the bone from rain, and the water running down my body. When it's above around 65F I sometimes do just get wet because even when soaked I can stay warm enough when active.

> Or something very light that doesn't PRETEND to breathe
    > like an AGG silnylon jacket with a comfy close fitting
    > cozy breathable base layer for comfort next to skin to
    > keep you warm and not bugged by the condensation.

Because your suggested alternative has even less breath ability which means more accumulated moisture. While far from perfect, Dri Ducks do breath significantly better than sil-nylon.

–Mark

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Because some internal accumulation isn't nearly as chilling as soaked to the bone from rain, and the water running down my body"

Everybody's metabolism is different, I guess, but I've generally found that the heat generated by hiking keeps me plenty warm in the 40's without a WPB shell. Indeed, I overheat with a shell in those conditions. All bets are off, though, if there is significant wind or a torrential downpour. Then the shell comes out. As always, YMMV and HYOH.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

i have both a GoLite Enigma and a Montbell Particle. The latter has a hood.
    unfortunately, i have not been able to wear either of them due to clear, sunny Arizona skies. :(

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

no one for the eVent ID Thruhiker?

My buddy has it and he loves it. At least he used to…

+ he's a sweaty bass turd (love ya T)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Integral Designs eVent Thru Hiker Jacket. (Here.)

Adjustable hood. Chest pocket only. 12 ounces in a Large.

Basic, Solid, Waterproof, and Very breathable.

If the weather isn't cooperating and a layovers are not an option, this is an excellent jacket to consider.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

All due respect to I.D., the Montbell Peak shell offers better length coverage, same 12 oz size L weight, high breathability AND very long pit zips and much better price. Note that the BPL writeup on the subject found that no material is going to beat out the heat and moisture venting of a hole [=pit zips], so the Montbell is going to vent better with a combination of very breathable material + pit zips, even though the material is a little less breathable than eVent (the breathability figures are online). Thanks again Ben Tang for giving me the heads up on this jacket.

Think Montbell is not making this model any longer but there are still some out there at good prices.

For comparison, I used to have a Patagonia Rainshadow or Raindance or whatever it's called, and the Montbell is so much more breathable it made the Rainshadow feel like a plastic bag.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

+1 on the Peak. It's my favorite jacket by far. Sold a nearly new Mica and kept this jacket instead. I've been comfortable in a range of temps with this jacket, all the way down to about 15 degrees moving wearing only an icebreaker 200 LS underneath, as well as about 40 degrees moving with pit zips wide open wearing an icebreaker 150 LS underneath. Love this jacket, and might buy a second one in case I do something to the one I have now!

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools