Topic

Cosmic Wimpout

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

I usually backpack solo, but backpacking with a group is always a welcome change. People differ in their preference for in-camp entertainment/occupation. Drinking and a fire are a must for me personally. When solo I take a book. I always take a journal. I know many people take playing cards for hearts or whatever game you love, although dirt and cards arent exactly best friends. I realize this thread might drift into a discussion of in-camp activities (which is cool, im a fan of thread drift).

BUT I have was wondering if anyone plays Cosmic Wimpout? Its a dice game where the goal is to reach the high score finish line. The board is a piece of cloth with an ascending number pattern and a finish line of 500-750 points usually. But no board is required if you have a pencil and paper to keep track of your score. Its pretty fun, kind of a family tradition, and sharpens you addition skills which can get rusty.

The dice are only 2oz for 5 and cost $4 on Amazon.
    Does anyone play this anymore?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

How do you work in the drinking part?

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Ha I was just speaking generally about the drinking in camp. A drinking game wouldnt be too hard to devise. Drink every time you roll triples?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

…every time you roll?

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

awesome, I always ask people about this and no one knows what im talking about, I herd about it from a guy on white blaze…

we have drinking rules also,

I have a berkeley board, I set up with my led lantern in the middle, if a die hits the lantern you drink.

If you forget how many points you have in a turn, you drink (this one get dangerous)

if you accumulated more than 100 points, in a roll, and wimpout, you drink.

we keep it pretty simple, and find these three rules make for an interesting night at camp… anyone else play?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I can't believe you mentioned Cosmic Wimpout. I think that's one of the coolest games ever. I like the way you can change the rules whenever you want. I don't know many that have even heard of the game. Maybe on college campus?
    It seems I've heard that there's a big annual CW fest in San Francisco or some place.

But Greg, I don't think mumbly peg with fixed blade knives would be a very good drinking game.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

I would NEVER mix alcohol with sharp pointy things!

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

Ha, that's great that there's a thread on this. We got it for Christmas from my parents specifically for backpacking, and we love it. Those dice are addicting.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I've never heard of Cosmic Wimpout, but I'm going to have to look into it. Sounds like it fits in with the group on my annual trip into the canyon.

We play liars dice. And yes, drinking is involved. It helps bring out the trash talking which is such an important part of liars dice.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

. . . . .

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

Would love to have a lightweight compact game such as this. Not sure of the rules yet but I found it on ebay in a small tube. Hope its the same game! Its just five dice with a small peice of paper which I am assuming are the instructions.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

No, CW isn't much at all like Yahtzee. If you google it, you'll find the instructions, plus a whole lot of other info about it. It has a serious cult following. One interesting thing about CW is that you can change the rules as you like, providing everyone agrees. It seems to be a rules-in-progress sort of thing. But it's a bunch of fun, even if it does take a little time to figure it out.

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Im taking mine on the PCT! Let the games begin!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Is it as fun as Farkle?

Shawn Peyton
    BPL Member

@alifeoutdoors

Locale: Iron River, WI

hahaha I'm glad I'm not the only one that converted liar's dice to a campsite drinking game. We were taught it when I was stationed in Panama and man it is just a blast. I never heard it called Liar's Dice though that's a great title. I think the locals called it Dudo of Chacito can't remember.

I'll have to look up the Cosmic Wimpout. Aye, thought it was going to be a epic trip failure report as well. Glad I was wrong. lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools