Topic

Be Prepared, Not Equipped

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Be Prepared, Not Equipped

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Johann kuester

@whirlpool

I have to agree with your article one hundred percent. I even wrote something similar recently, in a much more condensced form, under the General Board of the PACIFIC NORTHWEST TRAIL ASSOCIATION communication section, entitled, Thoughts On Survival. Your article is a good reflection of the philosophy of light weight gear and training, and using it to ones benefit. Couldn't agree more with what you wrote. Great article.

Dwight Mauk
    BPL Member

@melnik

Brad,

Thanks for the article. I've been backpacking for over 35-yrs, and I've only recently begun to put the money into lighter gear. In fact, I think you helped me pick my WM bag.

Off the point, is that Lake of the Clouds in one of your pictures?

Thanks again.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Shontelle

AAWT end-to-end, April 1999, 31.5 days.

Top pic – going around Lake Albina. (It had snowed a few days earlier too.)
    Bottom pic: heading N from McKeahanies Ck, just S of Happy Jacks Plain. The evening before had been quite warm and sunny.

Between Dead Horse Gap and Kiandra we went oof-trail cross-country, not on the 'official' route, because we know that country very well.

Cheers

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

I enjoyed reading about your hiking history and how it has lead you to spare a few pounds and probably your knees too.

I would like to ask mainly BPL article reviewers to please consider non-native English speakers, of which I am one, when acronyms are used in an article. I'm able to extrapolate their meaning from the article, but just to be sure can someone please un-acronym :D for me:

EMT course
    EMS

Thanx, Eins

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand

Regarding dealing with unpredictable weather/temperatures – warmer gear really isn't all that heavy if you pick carefully. An extra fleece vest or pullover might be 250-300g (9-10oz), my powerstretch balaclava weighs 50g/1.8oz. An extra 5-10oz of down fill spread between a jacket and a sleeping bag makes a massive difference to temperature range (remember the shell weight of either doesn't need to change, which is why I think jackets like the MB EX light aren't worthwhile). Always packing rain pants might cost less than 200g/7oz. Fleece gloves, same weight as balaclava, and always come in handy at night as pot holders + bug protection anyway. MLD's event mitts are 1oz.

And it does simplify your kit (and packing it) if it covers a broad range, it's too easy to fall into the trap of buying more and more gear to cover ever more specific ranges of conditions.

Regarding the wet, after many unpleasant nights trying to dry clothing in my sleeping bag, I don't bother. But my 'evening' dry clothing is very light (the main purpose being to just keep my down gear clean, and leave all the insulation to the down): it consists of some MB wind pants (60g/2.1oz), my windshirt (the one thing I *can* easily dry), a polypro balaclava (30g/1oz), a pair of running socks (40g/1.4oz) and a down jacket/vest. (And when my day clothing is dry, it can just stay on underneath that). Maybe I need slightly warmer down gear by not relying on my day baselayers+fleece, but down is so warm for the weight you need very little extra to compensate.

In winter when the days are short, I do take a spare light – when walking with a light if I dropped/lost/broke it, there are some places I *really* would not want to be stuck in the dark (eg steep ridge with bluffs all around in high winds + sleet). In these sorts of spots I would really like to give myself the best chance of being able to walk of trouble rather than having to hunker down. And if you are trying to squeeze every bit of walking out of the minimal daylight hours, it can be easy to get timings wrong and end up still moving in the dark.

…but, LED lights are really light (*ahem*) now, if you ignore the battery weight – since two batteries is just giving you more runtime anyway. My LD10 is 50g (1.8oz) plus battery, so not too extravagant.

Shelter wise, I haven't really put my tarp-like Patrol to serious wind tests (I tend to evacuate to less exposed spots), but shelters like the MLD Duomid seem pretty storm proof without any big weight cost.

So there's some redundancy there sure, but even a fairly big margin of error/unpredictability doesn't need to cost you much.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Eins:

EMT = Emergency Medical Technician
    EMS = Emergency Medical Services

Melissa Spencer
    BPL Member

@melissaspencer

Locale: PNW

Brad,

I completely agree with your article; I think your statement DOES apply to all situations. You stated, “I need to be prepared for reality, not for situations that could only happen "if Superman came down to fight a battle against an evil guy freezing Florida solid in July."

If your reality is that you live in a region of the world that is typically 40F at night, but can sometimes (even in the summer) get below 20F, then pack for that reality and carry equipment that will keep you safe to 20F (maybe not sweating hot, but safe).

If your reality is that you are hiking in a region of the world where the last time it froze was during the last ice age, pack for that reality and don’t carry equipment that will keep you warm to 20F. If some evil guy decides to freeze Hawaii or wherever solid, then it is the end of the world anyway.

Secondly, I completely agree with “being prepared, not redundant”. In emergencies, knowledge is more important than having redundant gear if you have to overcome the loss of functionality of a piece of gear. Here are some examples of knowledge that can eliminate gear redundancy:

Stove or fuel (or no one has a lighter or match): In the rare occasion that your well-cared-for primary stove fails, or if you run out of fuel, you can build a hobo fire and put your pot on it to cook with. If you can’t legally light a fire or it is too wet, eat your breakfast for dinner (and your dinner later in the trip). If you must eat your dinner for dinner, you can use cold water to soak your meal for half hour to 2 hours (depends on how cold the water is) and it will reconstitute (even mac and cheese). Many backpackers do this anyway and leave the stove at home.

Windscreen: Build one with rocks and put your sleeping pad on the other side of it to block the cracks.

Firestarter: If you run out of firestarter, or you need to make some, you already have everything in your pack that you need. If it is dry out, you can start with some moss or the shredded bark of cedars or redwoods, or make shreds with your knife. If you don’t, use a piece of crumpled paper from the corner of your map, journal, or guidebook, or cotton from your handkerchief, tampon, thread or first aid gauze. If you have none of that, use a piece of your base layer, pack towel or nylon bear rope (synthetic cloth is very flammable). Now, douse it with a petroleum product or alcohol: stove fuel, hand sanitizer, Vaseline lip care, or sun block. There you go: fire starter (I think the best is cotton smeared with Vaseline lip care).

Lighting: Know the battery life of your light and plan for the worst-case scenario—if you had to walk all through the night (maybe even for 2 nights) to make it out to a road. That means you need enough light to hang out in camp, plus however many hours of light the sun is not shining (sun set and sunrise are always predictable, know them for the area you are going into, as well as the phases of the moon). I always plan for the emergency of having to hike 2 nights to find a road. For example, if I am going out for 5 nights and I use 1 hour per night writing in my journal, then I find myself in a situation where I have to hike all through the night for 2 nights, I need 5+10+10 hours of light (assuming 10 hours of darkness) in the worst-case scenario. So, I throw a new battery in my 33-hour headlamp and I am more than prepared. I also carry a little pinch light. Not the brightest, but in the worst-case scenario, I could have 8 extra hours of light. It also uses the same battery as my watch, so there is another 8 hours if needed.

Anything short of the worst-case scenario you will be fine if you run out of light! You are an ultralighter, so you don’t have much in your pack and you know where it all is. You should be familiar enough with your pack and gear to set up your shelter in the dark. You can live without writing in your journal this time.

Water treatment: Boil your water. You may eat some unwanted pine needles or debris, but it will be nearly sterile pine needles or debris.

Patch kit/repairs: You really don’t need one. Bring a 1” x ½” piece of corrugated cardboard with a needle stabbed through the two layers and one big piece of thread wrapped around it. Duct tape works on shirts, packs, some trekking pole repairs, tents, shoes—even you (see below). Just bring 10+ feet of it wrapped around your water bottle or trekking pole.

First Aid: You can make almost anything (in a pinch) out of the things you already have:
    – Sanitizing wipes- Soap/water is great if you carry it. Or use hand sanitizer gel and T.P., some of your alcohol for the stove, or your vodka (both mostly ethanol, which is used in the sanitizer wipes). Or if you use iodine or chlorine tablets for water treatment, make a solution of triple strength water (half or 1/3 the amount of water for one tablet) and rinse the wound.
    – Sutures- Sterilize your sewing needle by bringing it to a boil or by burning with your lighter/matches
    – Splint/sling- Use some wood or your pack frame and a shirt, handkerchief, bear line, or duct tape.
    – Butterfly bandages- Rip or cut some duct tape into small strips
    – Bandaids- T.P. and duct tape
    – Blister prevention or protection- duct tape
    – Ace bandage- handkerchief, shirt, or duct tape

Water bottle: What if you lose or puncture your water bottle? Trust me, you have a lot of things in your pack that will carry water in that rare situation. You cooking pot, your ziplocks, you map case, your Pringles container, even your pack liner if you had to.

Mid layer: Wear your sleeping bag.

Outer layer: Wear your tarp or tent fly like a poncho. Use your bear line to tie it on you.

Gloves: Wear your socks

Socks: If your feet are dangerously cold and all of your socks and your shoes are wet, take some of the plastic bags from your food and put them over your feet, under your sock. This will create a vapor barrier and your feet will be very wet and wrinkly and possible blister, but you will be warm.

Wet clothes or sleeping bag: If possible, dry them over a fire. Wet base layers can be worn to bed and will likely dry by morning. As long as they are not cotton, they will still add warmth.

Knife: Tent stake.

Tent stake: A stick and a large rock. Or a stuff sack full of rocks and buried (deadman). Or use some of your bear line and tie off to a tree.

Stuff sack: You don’t need one, but you could use your headnet.

I have used or seen people almost all of these items as backups when their one and only primary item failed or was lost, and we all survived. If you know your gear, the area you are hiking in (sunset/sunrise, phases of the moon, tides (sometimes), a little chemistry, and the basics of what each piece actually does for you, you already ARE carrying redundancy!

Thank you. Nice article.

Jedd G

@jeddg

Locale: SF Bay

Great article! Do you carry any "just in case" items that don't get used in the course of a normal trip, or do you bring exactly what you need? I personally feel more comfortable bringing an emergency space blanket, even though I've never had to use it. 2.5 oz is worth it to me for the peace of mind that if it gets colder than expected, I'm prepared.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I carry quite a few "just in case" items. Really, everything except food, fire-starting and sometimes water is "just in case" in my books. I would survive without a raincoat, or as Melissa points out I could survive with very little. To me, the game is not about survival, so I DO carry redundancy, just not as much or as heavy as I used to. But really, for me personally, my journey to UL has gone through two stages. The first satge was before I had ever heard of UL, yet through experience alone I worked out that I didn't need a full cook set, and MSR white gas stove, a -20 sleeping bag, lots of spare clothes, an inflatable raft, etc…the second satge was the discovery of lighter alternatives to the remaining equipment I decided I still wanted (not always needed) to take with me. Now, some folks really WANT a bombproof everest ready tent, cook and sleep system, even when merely venturing out for a weekend in the Sierra. I am totally fine with that in the category of HYOH. I also admit that I would not be happy to send my unexperienced child out with a group of other children (and adults) such as scouting, without knowing there was a large safety margin in how the group was equipped. Horses for courses. The worst experience I had as a young adult was a three day trip into the Lone Pine region with a leader who didn't even check our gear. I truly almost froze as unexpected snow and wind descended on us, as did many other kids on that trip. We couldn't get a fire started, and we had "planned" on learning some foraging techniques which didn't eventuate. Second worse outdoor experience was on the Colorado river in summer where my only shelter was my up-turned kayak. I was eaten alive by mosquitos in night long pouring rain and thunderstorms, and nearly gave up ever going into the outdoors again. I did not have the skills to look after myself, and would never send my kids on such ill-equipped trips. One of my happiest young outdoor memories was with a group into the Trinity Alps on a five day trip. My starting weight was 55 lbs (I was a 110 lb female), yet I had everything I needed to be comfortable and feel secure. The next year I went on the same trip, but solo, and I fell and broke my femur half down an icefield. I was so totally ill-equipped for that scenario that the contents of my pack forever changed, including the addition of good pain killers, spare water, a warmer bag and mat (I wasn't planning on sleeping on ice!!!) bear spray and signaling devices to name a few items, and a partner…So if I am overly cautious with how much equipment I now carry, I am still happy that at least it is now lighter equipment. So I guess you could say that I am definitely not out to convert anyone, and I definitely will never be SUL, but I really enjoy my trips now, even in the worst imaginable circumstances (broken bones aside). I also now carry a PLB, especially if I am solo. It's equipment I hope I never have to use (as is my raincoat ;-), but wouldn't leave at home either.

Melissa Spencer
    BPL Member

@melissaspencer

Locale: PNW

I just wanted to add that I was not suggesting that people stop carrying all the items that I listed. I was saying that for some of the items, in the rare occasion that something were to happen to your primary item, that you could use other things in lieu of carrying a second item.

Great discussion guys!

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Knowing how to minimalize your gear is just a small aspect of experienced backpacking and should NOT be your only focus nor does it give anybody the right to a smug treatment of people who are not choosing to go minimal.

If you could explain where exactly Brad or the person you quoted is making the argument that minimizing gear should be the only focus, it would help me to better understand your annoyance.

As it stands, I'm confused as to why an experienced backpacker would bring more gear than/she needed.

Also helpful would examples of smug treatment of people who choose not to go minimal, better than thou attitudes,etc.
    I mean –
    At the 3 shelters we stayed at along the way, we were asked lots of questions & enjoyed sharing our experiences & equipment details. I always refer people to this website as the most complete resource to start their lightweight transformation, should they so choose. -doesn't strike me as particularly smug, self righteous or better-than-thou.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

I doubt the poster was referring to Brad as being smug. After all, Brad did say: "Let me say that I have been extraordinarily offended by the strident self-righteousness and superiority expressed by some ultralighters"

I have seen this kind of smugness at times on this board, and for some folks the enlightenment that comes from discovering UL can be a little bit of a religious experience, But basically no one really likes an evangelist, and most of us here recognise this and try to avoid openly judging folks who carry heavier loads than us by choice or ignorance. UL is a philosophy, not a manifest, and there is a spectrum that stretches all the way from a Bear Grylls approach to a 45lb or more load such as carried by Ryan on his arctic 1000. Most of us (but maybe not all) accept the HYOH philosophy as being more important than being the kid with the slickest gear UL list!

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

In the northeast, I'm pretty familiar with the range of conditions and can plan based on season and route. This ranges from carrying almost nothing in summer dayhikes in southern New England to carrying lots of gear above treeline.

In other places I need to be more careful because I don't necessarily know what I'm doing. Unless I find a local mentor to teach me what to carry and how to use it, I probably need to carry more gear. In unfamiliar territory I may travel more slowly than at home, especially bushwhacking.

For potential emergencies, I usually carry communication gear (cell phone, ham radio handheld). In places where I don't know that they work, I really have to think about carrying a PLB or Spot. Lynn's broken femur gives pause. I'm glad you got out OK and carry on with your outdoor activities.

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

Wow! To think that I became a smug, self-righteous, holier/better-than-thou evangelist in one day as a result of misinterpreted "Gone With the Wind" southern humor! My friends & family are going to be so impressed! Don't worry, I'm pretty sure that Nicholas' remarks were directed at me, not Brad, but hey, that's the price one pays for such "smugness" ;)

Walter Underwood
    BPL Member

@wunder

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I like Doug Prosser's observations that people carry things because of fear. Once we realize that, we can address the fear with planning.

For example, if I know that I can walk out in a day from any point on my trek (true for lots of places), that can reduce a lot of "emergency" gear.

It is OK to cut a trip short if the weather gets crazy bad. Go another time. We did that last weekend — muddy, slippery trails, low snow level, and short days didn't leave enough safety factor, so we had a lazy morning, explored a bit, and headed home a day early. Still a great weekend.

IMG_0609

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I like the phrase "appropriate paranoia". I hike with some "be equipped" people who I term "bombproof backpackers"…lol.

Hiking solo in sparsely hiked areas is an entirely different ballgame in being equipped. Risk goes up even with carrying a PLB for the rare incapacitating illness/injury where help may not arrive for up to 24 hours or more. I really appreciated this when I got a virus on a group hike that took me out in minutes to hours. It makes one think about how they would have "performed" if it had been a solo outing. Staying dry, warm and hydrated should then be your immediate goals.

Actually, I've always thought of prepared/equipped as going hand in hand. Preparedness to me is being appropriately equipped with gear and knowledge for the given trip.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Thanks for all your continued comments and conversation!

A few specific responses: Dwight, the photo was from Isle Royale, but I'm not sure if it was on the Greenstone after Ojibway tower, or if it was taken on the Minong not far out of McCargo.

Jedd and all: I do carry some "just in case" stuff. In general I pack with no tolerance for being cold, wet, or uncomfortable. I pack enough clothing to be plenty warm, I carry a cushy pad, complete rain gear, and so forth. I also know and accept that at some point my feet are going to be wet and cold, that there'll be a morning I have to wake up and put on wet clothes and go. But that's just not a big deal. A typical pack list is on the community gear lists. I do carry a survival kit and a fixed-blade knife, and some basic first aid conveniences.

My survival kit: emergency blanket, a couple large-ish pieces of aluminum foil, 40' of 250# spectra line, 25' of 500# spectra line, needle and thread, ferro rod, signal mirror, petro-jel cotton balls double-wrapped in foil, and a whistle. I can create shelter, start fire, boil water, and signal for help, and the packet is small enough to easily fit in my pocket. Along w/the survival kit I carry the Grohmann Boat Knife, great for all kinds of camp chores and getting fires going in wet conditions.

My current first aid kit is a couple micro tubes of superglue, a maxipad, a mess of assorted bandaids (I tend to get cracked fingertips on trips), a little antibiotic ointment, and that's about it. I do carry enough ibuprofen for 2 x 800mg/per day, and enough Benadryl for 4 per day. I also started carrying some antifungal powder in a small bottle, but that's more of a "toiletries" thing. I think that's about it; I can fabricate whatever else as needed.

Melissa, liked your feedback and thoughts on multiuse. David, like you said, it's ultimately more about efficiency than just weight. Actually, when I talk to people about carrying a lighter pack, I don't talk about ultralight at all. I just talk about it as backpacking. When you box things in too tightly people have narrow expectations. I just try to create awareness that you can carry less stuff, still be safe, warm and dry, and ultimately have more fun on the trips. In the shop I'll point out how cool technology has gotten… for example, you could carry a full-size 0.75" Z-lite, or you could carry a full-size, 2.5" thick mattress for the same weight and a little more warmth… and, oh, the thicker pad packs down about 5 times smaller than the z-lite. (The Neo isn't always the answer, just an example here!)

Some other thoughts I've had while reading your comments are that the Zipka light I used to carry weighed 2.3oz w/batteries. I never brought spare batteries, because the light would burn 120 hours on one set. I had the same batteries in that LED light for 4 or 5 years. My new light doesn't have such long run time, and I might bring an extra lithium battery, but if it comes down to it and my light burns out… no worries. I have a pack full of gear. I'd stay the night and hike out in the day. But then, I don't backpack when it's dark. Day hike/ski/snowshoe, sure. Or maybe an easy overnight in to a cabin, etc. But that's about it.

I'd also like to point out that I've met many BPLers, and have referred a lot of people to the site. Although many of our frequent forum posters might be in the 10# pack range, I know through personal conversations that many of the people following our discussions don't carry such loads… and that's fine! I regularly meet people who still have a 15-30 pound base, and those people do follow the things we do here. They take what works for them from the site, and apply it to their interpretation or end desires for their backpacking experience. So what if someone carries a 20# 3-season base? Maybe they cut back from a 50# base, and they're tickled pink at carrying such a light pack. There's room for all of us here, and we can all learn from each other's different perspectives.

Anyhoozit, cheers, all! Look forward to hearing some more of your thoughts.

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

"Eins:

EMT = Emergency Medical Technician
    EMS = Emergency Medical Services"

John, I got the E and M right, thanx for clearing up the T and S.

Eins

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

I too have been thinking a bit more about this thread. Last night I realised that my longest term regular hiking buddies fit into this category:

"I met a guy recently who takes great pride and (stated) pleasure in carrying a 120-POUND pack. Even for long weekends. He told me it was great"

We often hike with a married couple who have had the same bombproof 3.7kg MacPac Olympus tent, and heavy sleeping bags, MSR white gas stove with 8 oz heat exchanger, set of two stainless steel pots (1.3 and 2 litre with fry pan lid), really rugged canvas packs and a host of other 'heavy' gear. They always carry some fresh fruits and veggies, lots of bowls, cups, cutlery, super thick Thermarest mats…you know, all the traditional gear we used to all carry. Thing is, they're both happy on their hikes, and proud. Proud because the husband is really fit and strong, so he carries most of the load, and it barely slows him down, so he feels like a real man. She's proud because her husband acts like a real man and is a good 'provider'. They are proud because their gear has lasted for over a decade of heavy use. They are proud because they are prepared for anything, and indeed they have even had call to use their PLB once. There is no way I would or should even consider convincing them that my way is better than theirs, or that they would be safer or have more enjoyable trips if they went lighter.

However, this all changes when we want to do a 'girl's trip' sometimes, and hubby stays at home. We then find that the wife is ill prepared to carry the gear she has available to her, yet she won't accept offers from the rest of us to borrow some lighter gear for these trips. She fears gear that is unfamiliar and distrusts lighter alternatives. So she slows us down, and doesn't really have that much fun :( It is at this level that my evangelism is prone to kick in, and I often have to bite my tongue, and refuse to take some weight off of her.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

nm

Dale Crandall
    BPL Member

@dlcrandall

Locale: North Cascades

I've enjoyed this good provocative essay and thread. I want to summarize a classic regime for cutting down the gear and weight. These ideas are not mine nor new.

“BE PREPARED” to survive and hike another trip:
    Rule 1: The only unforeseen event that you must “Be Prepared” for is to be found alive within 2 or 3 days of the time when someone starts real search and rescue looking for you;
    Rule 2: Be sure that you make a plan and carry what is necessary to assure success of Rule 1 in the specific environment of that trip;
    Rule 3: No clothing or equipment is critical (as opposed to comfortable) except for what is needed to assure the success of Rule 1.
    EXAMPLE: The only real danger here in the North Cascades and similar mountain environments is hypothermia in some combination with injury, wandering so far off your stated route that searchers are looking in the wrong place, or not being able to signal your location to searchers. You won't die of hunger, thirst, wild animals, snakes, mosquitoes (well, probably not), giardia or anything other than hypothermia. You may be miserable, but you won't die. That said, hypothermia is a serious threat. Nearly every year, a few climbers, hikers, hunters, and back-country skiers here get caught in bad weather. Many went out just for the day. Mt. Rainier and Mt. Hood are especially notorious. (See links below) Unpredictable weather, especially blowing rain, fog and unpredicted snow (below is a picture taken on the PCT on August 15 this summer) can make you dangerously wet and cold, interfere with making a fire, and obscure you and your attempts to signal searchers until the storm passes.
    To address this risk, for this example of risk environment:
    a) Be sure that people at home know your route and the time you are supposed to be out;
    b) Take some combination of clothing, blanket, bivy or shelter that will keep you dry under a tree or rock ledge in blowing sleet;
    c) Be sure you know how (practice it) to build a big fire in the rain with natural materials and be able to keep it going day and night for warmth and smoke (signal) production, and carry the fire starters and tinder (this may the only necessary redundancy of any gear) to be sure you can do it.
    With this minimal baseline of planning your route, clothing, shelter, and fire starters, you can then quickly prune your gear list to what you want carry to “Be Equipped”. If you make a bad guess on a Rule 3 item, you'll live, you'll get the chance to innovate, and it will make a good story.

“BE EQUIPPED” only with what you can't comfortably do without (after trying) on the foreseen conditions of a trip. DON'T try to “be equipped” for “possible” non-life-threatening events – meet them as they come and be resourceful.
    These methods work for a lot of people:
    a) During a trip, don't use anything unless you are forced to use it in order to reach your personal level of comfort and enjoyment – just leave it in the pack, and try to let lightness and simplicity fill the comfort space of the sequestered item;
    b) After each trip, take out every single thing you did not use on that trip, (except for the Rule 2 items);
    c) Never add anything to your pack unless you know you will use it to reach your personal level of comfort and enjoyment for the conditions of that particular trip (snow, climbing, night hiking, rain in the forecast, etc.), or it is a Rule 2 item for that particular trip; then take those special items back out after that trip;
    d) Do keep looking for some lighter item that performs the same function as a heavier one, or a multiple use item that allows you to do away with a single use item with resulting less complication, volume and net weight;
    e) Have more fun;
    f) Repeat a) through e).

Dale

Pacific Crest Trail August 15, 2009

Why this is important:

http://www.examiner.com/weather-in-jackson/mount-hood-climbers-likely-deceased-due-to-the-extreme-weather

http://www.kirotv.com/news/16585646/detail.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2010/06/two_hikers_found_after_two-day.html

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Once maybe 10-20 years ago, there was a U.S. Marine who was off duty and taking a simple day hike in a wilderness area just north of Yosemite National Park. He had gotten some miles from the road, and had virtually nothing for gear. He fell of a cliff trail and landed at the bottom of a ravine with two broken legs. Nobody really knew that he was there, so nobody was looking for him. His military training kicked in, and he slept in a "squirrel's nest" of leaves. He drank raw stream water and basically just survived as best he could. I believe after 2-3 weeks, he was able to crawl back up the hill and crawl those miles out to the road, and he recovered in a hospital. You have to admit that he was mentally prepared for survival, if not well equipped.
    –B.G.–

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

To me the "enlightenment" of learning about lightweight backpacking after decades of using traditional gear seemed to be complimentary to a mindset of lightweight skills.

Almost automatically, as one goes lightweight, comes the concentration on doing the same with less – less weight and less gear.

i.e. one cook pot, not two, a SteriPen and not a water filter, Freezer Bag Cooking and not traditional freeze-dried food, etc.

But along the way I've discovered that I won't sacrifice the sleeping comfort of my ancient Thermarest Lite, regular length for a CCF 3/4 length pad, or my TarpTent Moment for a bivy or tarp. And an internal frame, LW pack is, to me, more comfortable than a lighter framless pack.

It's a learning process and a lot of the learning, as the author infers, is not so much about equipment as skill set of "doing more with less". Finding a better, safer camp site, a cleaner water source, understanding the weather signals of clouds, knowing your first aid well, etc.

I'm not a "survivalist" or minimalist but I CAN survive if I am forced to because I've taken the time to learn and practice survival skills. No, a bow drill won't likely start a flame but it WILL start embers that you can blow into a flame. You need to know that.

Finally, knowing the strengths of your group helps. A good routefinder is given that task, an EMT or paramedic is the go-to person for first aid, and a good cook is priceless. These are skill sets that are complimentary to a safer, more enjoyable hike.

Eric

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Locale: Southeastern Michigan

Brad – Excellent article! I think if I were going to teach an intro-to-lightweight-backpacking class, I'd use your article as a place to begin.

I began lightening my load a year or so ago. Now, instead of buying the newest things on the market, for each item, I stop and think first about its use, its practicality, its weight, and its necessity. It has made a big difference!

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Kathy, thanks for the props!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools