Topic

Waterproof/breathable or sil-nylon for shell hood?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Waterproof/breathable or sil-nylon for shell hood?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

I have a one-piece Gore-Tex mountaineering suit that's missing the hood. This suit is uninsulated and will be used for winter snowshoeing in blizzard conditions.

I'm going to make an uninsulated hood but have not decided on the materials. The materials I have on hand are heavy Gore-Tex and 1.1 oz sil-nylon. Which material should I make it from and why?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It makes good sense to use a hood fabric that is similar to the rest of the jacket.
    I've worked with lightweight sil-nylon, and I find it to be a real pain due to its slippery nature. Which fabric you decide upon might be based on your sewing skills.
    The overall size of the hood is not much, so the use of one fabric or another won't make all that much difference in overall weight.
    –B.G.–

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Your thinking is along the same lines as mine. However one thing I'm wondering: How important is it to have a "breathable" hood on a garment like this?

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

"How important is it to have a "breathable" hood on a garment like this?"

Well, the rest of the garment is breathable, too… sure makes sense to keep w/the pattern. Also note that the head produces a lot of sweat. Think about your sweaty areas when you're working hard: feet, groin, armpits, forehead/neck, small of back. No disadvantage to making your hood WPB. Might make it more manageable to keep the hood up in variable conditions, whereas you'd keep a bit much humidity/heat in w/sil.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Well, assuming you do mean sub-zero blizzard conditions, then you maybe don't need the waterproof bit? But if you are snowshoeing, you might be working hard and sweating a bit?

Under such conditions I would suggest either the Gore-tex or an uncoated fabric with a very good DWR. A hat over it might be a good trick to keep the snow off anyhow. And leave room for something warm underneath it too.

Cheers

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

I'll probably use a waterproof breathable.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools