Topic

2010 GoLite Quilts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2010 GoLite Quilts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks
    Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

Not sure what to say. Ive been trying to avoid all the "what is golite thinking" thread/talk.

I just wish I hadn't of sold my ultra20

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Looks like 11.8 oz of down fill in the 25 oz regular length 3-season Ultralite. Does 13 oz for other materials seem a little heavy?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

It does to me

David Ure

@familyguy

Don't worry – Golite knows exactly what they are doing. Not only do their frameless packs weigh as much as some mainstream framed packs (or close enough to lose any weight advantage). Not only do their tents (not tarps) weigh more than comparable, competitive mainstream tents, but now their quilts weigh as much as comparable mummy bags.

Their business plan makes perfect sense.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I think we should just accept that Golite is not going to offer that many truelly UL peices of gear and move on. Personally if I was going to carry a pound and a half of quilt I would go with a synthetic so I wouldn't have to worry as much about keeping it dry.
    On the positive side even at 25 oz this is better than most bags you'd find at REI. The same goes for their other products, not the lightest but could be worse.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Looks reasonable to me, given the cut of the quilts. Anyone know the weight of the liner, and shield fabrics ? The recycled liner and Shield zones might be heavier than what other manufacturers are using.

If I read the chart correctly, the regular is 56" at the shoulder, 48" at the hip, and fits 6' tall. That is bigger than the small and medium nunatak quilts, and wider than the nunatak large.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Cameron I hadn't paid attention to their dimensions. I wonder if they are trying to make things "idiot proof" so no one descides a quilt is bad because of draft etc. I'm starting to wonder if Golite is more concerned about being user friendly than counting ounces. Outside of BPL I don't know anyone who counts ounces the way I do (I'm not even going to think about how 2 pound frameless packs fit into this strategy).

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Their business plan makes perfect sense.
    If they are still in business in a year or two, I guess it does!

Cheers

David Ure

@familyguy

@Roger – exactly.

I suspect they will be in business given the large cash injection they recently received, but their line-up will be completely different. Again. Neverending. Lost forever.

;)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"Does 13 oz for other materials seem a little heavy?"

The 2009 Ultra 20 weighed 19oz which included 9.5oz of down and thus 9.5oz of shell. So the down was 50% of the quilts weight. Now the down comprises 47% of the quilts weight so it' s down a little in that sense. I'm not sure how this compares to other quilt brands.

Patrick Young
    BPL Member

@lightingboy

Locale: Midwest

I had an Adrenaline 40. It had 11.5oz down and weighed 21oz and the Adrenaline 20 (I'm selling) has 16oz down and total weight of 30oz. Seems to me until now the fill was 53-54% of the total weight of the bag.

The recycled materials must be heavier even with similar deniers to previous model year bags. The new Adrenaline 20 is 35oz with the same fill weight.

Also, on a podcast from Backpackinglight.co.uk, Bob mentioned that the recycled materials seemed bulkier and not as compressible (he was using the Ultralite 1+ quilt).

I'm glad I picked up an Ultra 20 before they disappeared. The later versions seem to have better down distribution over the chest and the single layer loft is measuring between 2.75-3". I had one before from the first production run and it was 2" of single layer loft over the chest and closer to 3+" on the sides.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"Does 13 oz for other materials seem a little heavy?"

Most of the Nunatek quilts are 50% or more weight in the shell material.

David Stancil

@stancil

Have not purchased a quilt yet but am kicking myself in the ass for not picking up the Ultra20 which I was just (stupidly) putting off. I took a look at the new models and am looking at the loft which the new 1 season states 3.5" which is what the Ultra 20 was (roughly). Does anyone know the fill weights of the new 1 season quilt long length and the 3 season long length compared to last years ultra 20 long. When is GoLite going to start posting this info on their site?! They are supposed to appeal to oz counters right? BTW anyone selling a long Ultra 20? One can hope.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

For the regular size:

The old Ultra 20 had 9.5oz of fill

The new 3 season quilt has 11.8oz of fill

The new 1 season quilt has 7.8oz of fill

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

That's great news if there is really a few more ounces of the same quality down in the 2010 model. Where did you get the info ?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

The fill weights are listed on Golites site as a comparison chart.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

It looks like Amazon still lists the Golite Ultra 20° bag on their site. $225 in Long or Short.

http://is.gd/82HGq

Mike

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

I have a 09 long with tags still on it if anyone is interested. $best offer.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

"I took a look at the new models and am looking at the loft which the new 1 season states 3.5" which is what the Ultra 20 was (roughly)"

David, Golite reports their quilts in double layer so the loft can be compared to a sleeping bag for relative warmth. The Golite ultra 20 was reported at 5" double or 2.5" single layer. The one I owned was consistent with this. The one season quilt is 3.5" double or 1.75" single. The ultra 20 has 43% more loft. I would not expect these quilts to be similar in warmth.

Jamie

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools