Topic

Making BD beta light bugproof?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Making BD beta light bugproof?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

Locale: Finland, Espoo

I have black diamond beta light. It is very good tent, but it is not bugproof. I can buy innertent, but it's too heavy!
    I thinking sewed mesh skirt and removable floor.

Couple questions:
    1. Is mesh skirt really bugproof?
    2. Have you ever make one?
    3. If skirt is ok, how long it should be?
    4. Any other ideas?

In Finland is now winter, but mosquitos are coming after 4 months. I have bugproof bivybag, but is't not fun eat and pack my staff with mosquitos.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

More than ten years ago, I purchased an Integral Designs SilShelter. Very quickly, I needed to add some mosquito net to it, so I sewed a skirt around the perimeter, and it is about 4-5 inches wide. Why that dimension? When it is stormy weather, I pitch the shelter sealed down to the ground, but when it is nice weather, I pitch it about 3 inches higher, and that ventilates it better, but it allows bugs unless that skirt is there. The net doesn't weigh much. I also added a net for the door/opening, and it is larger than one square yard.
    Now I also have a GG SpinnShelter, and I am getting ready to do the same treatment to it.
    –B.G.–

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Oware offers this on their pyramid tarps. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools