Topic

Shoes or boots for light, wet snow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Shoes or boots for light, wet snow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

We don't get lots of snow here so it's rare I'd ever be in more than a foot of snow (unless I went on a trip to the Appalachains perhaps). We often have fairly wet snow.

For summer hiking I use generic trail runners. I've not tried hiking in winter yet so I just have my everyday Ecco Track II boots (w/ Goretex). They seem like they'd be OK warmth wise, but I suspect my feet would sweat if I was really hiking much.

I don't think my trail runners would work as I'd need a bigger pair to fit a second sock, VB sock, or whatever to keep my feet dry. Plus I'd have the added pain of keeping them from freezing solid at night. Not that big a deal perhaps, but I like simple.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

I use sock, VB, socks as needed, waterproof sock, then larger trail runners than summer.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Are you using a plastic bag for VB and neoprene for waterproof sock?

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

plastic bags and Goretex socks for the outer

Ed Collyer

@ecollyer

Locale: East Bay Area

I just got the Keen Growlers, they are frickin amazing. I live in CA, where the snow is heavy and wet, really wet! They are lighter than most of my boots and are extremely warm and comfy. A little stiff at the ankle but they are getting better the more they wear. I have worn lightweight runners, socks with vapor barriers, but my feet get cold. I have tried many arrangements and these boots are my winter choice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools