Topic

SUMMER TRIP PLANS 2006

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

So…where are you most excited to go this Summer? Any plans to do that always wanted to do trip?

While I am still a year or two away from my dream trip, I am pretty excited for a unique trip coming up this summer. It involves a Helicopter taxi (mainly to save 4 hours of car ride, but also for the views) to the northern side of the Trinity Alps and a off-piste loop (hopefully given current snow conditions) to Grizzly and Papoose lake (very nice looking lakes in the base of Cirques).

So, what about you all??? Spring fever anyone!?!

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

In/Out Shepherd Pass into the upper Kern for golden trout fishing in late August – monday to sunday trip. If we feel really peppy, maybe we’ll climb a peak or two.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

I saw the picture of the pass area…and the fascinating tornado. The eastern side of the Sierra’s may be the most fascinating place for me. I realize it is not Colorado/Montana/Alaska/Canada at el., but I constantly fly over the region, and it is so deserted while being so close to one of the largest masses of humanity in the country!

In any event…that should be on the menu for next years BIG trip!

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Sierra High Route, some or all, this late Aug. or Sept. This is an off-trail alternative to the JMT, sees far fewer people (and bears) and a lot of variations are possible. I’ve done this before, in the early 90’s not in best UL style, taking 3 weeks, which is fast considering the terrain. This time around, from Twin Lakes (NE Yosemite boundary country) to Lodgepole in Seqouia NP or Cedar Grove in King’s Cyn. ( if I decide to do the entire route) in 2 weeks ( w/ layovers and one resupply) w/ a UL load yet to be determined.

Scott– I’ve done Grizzly to Papoose. Heli? Hope you still have to do the infamous 1600 ft climb in a mi. followed by the 1600 drop to Grizzly Ck. on the China Spr. Trail ( that will grow hair on your chest).
    Then the scramble alongside Grizzly Falls up to the Lake. Some terrific country.

jonathan hauptman

@6hauptman6

Locale: A white padded room in crazy town.

I have spring fever bad man! I am starting a thru hike of the Appalachian Trail on May 13th. Can not wait!

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Dont know if I will get to it, I am busy this summer. but I hope to be able to do the jhon muir. My dad bought some guide books. the only problem is if we will be free.

any one know of the temps over there in july and august. I hope we will escape some heat by gaining elevation. one reason I hate summer backpacking in the east, is all the heat.

thanks.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

all over the board, but most of the high country is a good deal cooler, although above treeline the sun is very, very intense. often windy, sometimes super, tear up the tents kinda windy. can be cold when that wind is blowing.

every now and then a cold snap can surprise – were up near Kearsarge area one time in early August and condensation froze into sheets of ice on the top of the tent – morning sun caused it to rain inside the tent. my guess is low to mid twenties. during the day can be shortsleeves and take a dip type weather though – maybe 80s?

especially in july you have the monsoon pattern in effect w/ dramatic thunderstorms daily fairly often – some areas get hit more/worse than others. lightning and hail pretty common afternoons. but some trips have been without any – just gotta go with the luck of the timing each year.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

The heat in the Sierra’s is way different than most other parts of the US. We don’t have the oppressing humidity. The heat in the Sierr’s is just your ordinary high exposure UV. Temp’s can get pretty high in certain locations during late afternoon…and exposed granite is like snow with the reflective qualities…but a hat/sunscreen/wicking tshirt and the occasional stop in the shade is more than enough to stay comfortable.

1. Upper Kern
    2. Ambitious thru-hike thru several national forests ala JMT but better!
    3. Trinity Alps free-fall
    4. AT thru-hike
    5. More Sierra’s

So far pretty good!
    And as far as the helicopter ride…it nets only a ride to the outer boundry of the wilderness area…close to the China Gulch Trail head. Much up hill work will be put in. But, in my book, it’s no fun if you don’t experience a little hell.

I may need to ask questions of the experienced Trinity Alps folks.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Whitney Portal and over Kearsarge to Onion Valley in August!!! First time up Whitney and first time going along the JMT over Forrester. Will be fun.

Also maybe a solo on the Rae Lakes Loop, and the first multi day trip with my wife (Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley).

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Ryan, there’s going to be a lot of snow ( and ice) in July on the higher stretches of the JMT–especially this year. This can pose a formidible obstacle on the N. sides of the high passes. Aug. may be better, particularly if you want to travel lighter w/ no ice axe and possibly crampons.
    As Cary said, temps. can be all over at this time of the year— down to 20’s possible, most probably higher.
    High temps. on the lower stretches can get into the 80’s and even more– more likely anywhere from 50’s to 70’s .
    These are high mtn’s subject to all sorts of variations off the norm— blizzards in Aug. as well as multi-day rainstorms from remnants of tropical storms have been known to happen.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Wow, I was not expecting this extreme of weather in the middle of the summer.

so I should expect and plan for extremely rainy weather with night lows around 25.

depending on when, mabey even some mountaineering gear

well, I like a challenge.

do you think an ID sil poncho or SMD gatewood cape could survive this extreme weather?

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

I hope the gatewood at least will – my hiking partner will be using his.

i haven’t decided yet what my shelter will be – i may also get a gatewood.

I think the trick will be site selection – if it’s howling wind, best to find a big boulder or maybe a grove of foxtails or something to nestle behind. i’ve seen tents get shredded up there.

the 25 degree lows are not real common, but could happen. on a week long trip, I always plan to be able to handle that kind of temp at night.

Bernard Shaw

@be_here_nowearthlink-net

Locale: Upstate New York

If you wish to avoid insects, maximize a long lasting high pressure system and have most if not all snow gone off high passes simply wait till August thru second week in September. I have guided there for many years and this is the least problematic zone.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

As Bernard says. Ryan, you most probably won’t have anything more than afternoon T-storms. I simply said that extreme weather has been known to happen at anytime in the Sierra. Temp. ranges are as I’ve said.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools