Topic

Need a lighter pair of boots for Philmont

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need a lighter pair of boots for Philmont

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    E. H. Clemmons
    BPL Member

@sclemmons

I have done the trail shoe thing but I need a light pair of boots for a Philmont trip. We are taking a group of 18 boys and encourage them to wear boots so a sprained ankle does not blow the trip for them. With “other peoples kids” it is better to be safe than sorry. I need to set an example with my own boots. My Lowa Scouts weight 2 pounds each!

I have been happiest with Salomon and Saucony shoes, which weigh closer to 1 pound each with insoles. Do you have any recommendations? Salomon seems to have a new softshell model or two. Fusion Pro. Super X Pro XCR. Even a REVO gtx.

I also saw the Brasher on this site, but do not think they are available in the US. Not sure how they fit.

Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks. skip

Anonymous
    Inactive

You might want to take a look at the LaSportiva Trango Guide. They are supposedly designed as an approach boot, but they have excellent lateral stability, which minimizes the tendency to turn an ankle. They are somewhere between mid and high top, and weigh ~2.5# per pair in a size 9.5 with superfeet insoles. Cost is $95. I’ve used them carrying a 30# load with substantial sections of off trail talus and have been very satisfied with both their stability and comfort. They are not GoreTex lined, which IMHO is a good thing.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

in them compared to other brands?

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Size up – maybe way up. Lost both big toenails from a pair of LaSportiva boots that I had sized up only 1/2 size. Boots had been broken in (on level ground). Descents caused freshly clipped toenails to “toe strike” the upper portion of the boot toe caps. Hiked about six miles with my socks squishing. Fortunately, it was just an afternoon hike – levels, and ascending was fine – wasn’t until the return trip and the descents that the problem surfaced.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

they are not using from a size 9-10

I’d pay for one – I want to compare against my own insoles. I wear 9-10 in most shoes.

lemme know – I think if I can compare insole lengths, I’d be comfortable making an online order for the shoes

E. H. Clemmons
    BPL Member

@sclemmons

I like the yoursole.com insoles. Don’t cook them just use them raw.

Now what about my boot suggestions! I need to go shopping this weekend.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools