Topic

0.1 oz (3 gram) homemade sunglasses

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 0.1 oz (3 gram) homemade sunglasses

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

For all of you who haven’t thought of this before (I’m sure many of you have):

If you have an appointment with the optometrist soon, don’t miss out on the opportunity to snatch up a pair of the post-mydriatic sunglasses (given away to those that have had their pupils dialated, which is done during routine checkups) that can be used for backpacking with 5 minutes of modification. With a little trimming around the edges, two holes punched on either end (with a hole punch) and a bit of cord or string of your choice, you’ve got a pair of 0.1 oz shades that will eliminate side glare, offer 100% UV protection, and will fit under glasses if need be. The glasses can be rolled and tied with the attached string for packing, or they can easily be fitted into a 0.2 oz (6 grams on my scale) film canister for a bit of extra protection (although I dont think the glasses are capable of being crushed, and so I probably wont use one).

If you don’t have an appointment anytime soon, try walking in and simply asking for a pair. All they can really do is say no. Thanks,

-Dave:)

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

That looks like a MYOG version of this … cool

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Jim,

Yep, they’re nearly identical except for the padding, cord lock, and thick carrying case that come with the Sport EYZ. None of the three are really that crucial for comfort or function, so doing it this way saves you $10.00 and 0.3 – 0.5 oz of weight. Not much in either respect, but…ya know. Thanks,

-Dave:)

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

David,
    Following your directions, I had a belated visit with my optomotrist and picked up a couple of pairs of the sheet sunglasses. They worked out just fine.

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Good to know Vick. Thanks.
    They really dont look too horrible – if thats a concern of anyones. Perhaps shes just braver than most, but my girlfriend actually wears these around town :)

-Dave

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Punk gurrl, huh?
    They’re just funky enough to be tight.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools