Topic

BPL Absaroka Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BPL Absaroka Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 101 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Def agreeing with Aarons statement above. I pack UL as long as it makes sense and this pack would def find its way into my gear list if I did not already have somthing similar.

John Castro-Rappl
    BPL Member

@jabber

Any plans to sell a shock cord/cord lock set as one of the customizable options? It'd fit right in with the belt and strap options, and the shock cord on the back definitely helps expand the pack's carrying capacity as far as volume is concerned.

I'll probably put in an order at OWFINC for some 1/8" polypro shockcord and a cord lock, but aesthetically I'd prefer it in a matching gray from BPL than the standard black cord I've found online.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'd recommend that BPL add a couple more small tie loop pairs (front & back) along each side. Thios would permit using light cord or webbing to compress teh pack and to carry skis when necesary.

Otherwise it's got a comfortable looking suspension system and nicely designed side/shovel pocket combo. I prefer a top compartment on my packs but a light fanny pack can strap on as a dual duty top compartment and side trips pack.

John Davis

@bukidnon

"It looks awfully hard to fit 40lbs of stuff into a pack this small to take advantage of it's rated carrying capacity. With a 'total volume' of ~45L, it appears the main bag is ~30-35L."

You're right, Dan, but these characteristics make it ideal for carrying coal into Highland bothies. That comment is almost tongue in cheek, but not quite. Next time I go to Bearnais, the place will be toasty. I think the design brief was for a sack which could contain a lot of food and a little super ultralight camping gear, which would explain the sumptuous hip belt and firm shoulder straps.

I totally agree with John and Eric. The sack needs more loops at the edge and it should come equipped with some nice grey cord.

In a controversial article, Roger suggested that things could fall out of mesh side pockets. At the time, being familiar only with mesh pockets on the Jam, I disagreed. However, the slant on the Absaroka's pockets make me suspect that he could be right in this case. The pockets do not feel all that secure, another argument for supplying the sack with a slightly stretchy, grey cord.

I'll know better after Easter when I at last get a chance to take the Absaroka for a walk.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> In a controversial article, Roger suggested that things could fall out of mesh side pockets.

I did. If I make that 'tall thinks like water bottles could fall out of low mesh side pockets' and the point would be more obvious. I often see stuff on the easier (ie novice) trails.

Cheers

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

John wrote>In a controversial article, Roger suggested that things could fall out of mesh side pockets. At the time, being familiar only with mesh pockets on the Jam, I disagreed.

Roger wrote> I did. If I make that 'tall thinks like water bottles could fall out of low mesh side pockets' and the point would be more obvious. I often see stuff on the easier (ie novice) trails.

I have to agree with Roger here, I have had several water bottles fall out of the side pockets on my Jam2.

Tony

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

All,

I have to say I really love the pack. Shock cord, and less slant in the pockets are the only thing I would change as stated above. Otherwise this pack hit my needs on the nose. I have many more packs but my 4 kids are big and backpacking now so they have all become hand me downs. I sold all of my other technical (read heavy) packs and have been using ULA and Golite Breeze, Jam, and Pinnacle for years now.

I was surprised by how stiff the padding was, but it has ended up being darn comfortable. It works great as a day pack too. I really live the features and enjoy the hip belt. It is my first pack with hip belt pockets; a really nice feature by the way. Snacks, knife, aquamira, sun screen, and other go to items all fit. I love it.

This is the first pack in a long time that I haven't used a sleeping pad as a frame. So I am back to using a cut down Z-Rest and strapping it to the top of the pack. My stove goes in the outside pocket. This increased my eating of soup at lunch. I love my hot food.

I give this pack 4.5 out of 5 stars. Just a little less slant on those back pockets and not making me hunt for shock cord for the back would be a total winner.

By the way, take a BPL course. I saw this pack used by Ryan last year and a lot of other gear that I really loved to see. It was worth it!

Jason

Eric Marcano
    BPL Member

@ericm

Locale: Southcentral Texas

Jason, I agree. This is a superb pack. I used it over 40 miles on the AT last week and it was a joy. Very comfortable and quite cool due to the venting back design. Everything fit inside except for the TT Moment which I slid into one of the side pockets. Yes, a little less slant on those side pockets would be nice. Also, some D-rings on the shoulder straps would be great to keep my water bottles up front.

I did end up getting a ULA Ohm after the trip which has a similar inverted "U" stay system but more room. I'll probably switch between the two depending on my use and mood.

Eric

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

Well, I like it anyway. It does carry 35lbs loads good, and I see a real market for this. the things I would like to see improved are:

1. Better quality control. I have 2 of these and both were delivered with the frames instaled wrong (instructions were provided on how to correct this) and the velcro doesn't match up on the suspension mounting.

2. More functional side pockets. The material is great, but the taper is too long for me. The bottom of the pockets are also somewhat tapered and would serve better if the bottom the sewn flat(gusseted) accross.

3. Low volume accross the board. The small is too volume restricted and there are no real size differences between large and medium.

The above are just my thoughts on how I use this pack. I am sure that this is the perfect pack right off the shelf for many. I just prefer an little more volume so the pack is more versitle under more conditions for my currrent skill set and gear selections. I have sent one of mine off to be modded to better suit my needs.

Regards,
    John

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Obviously now that BPL doesn't have a gear shop, these beauties will be hard to get a hold of. I totally understand the reasons why the gear shop had to close, but I was really hoping we could buy a stack of these Absarokas (like maybe 20+) if I could arrange the funding through our Scout Association in South Australia…the idea I had being that the packs are loaners for Scouts to use if they get some instruction and leadership on UL backpacking techniques first.

Any idea who made these (…is it someone like ULA?) and can they still be made in batches in the future?

Viewing 10 posts - 101 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools