Topic

Is BPL going to the Outdoor Retailer Market?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Is BPL going to the Outdoor Retailer Market?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

I was wondering, just realized it is this weekend, seems usually there is a post about this. I have to admit it is one of the reasons I subscribe to BPL.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Rob and others: we are skipping Winter OR this year, things just got way too busy with the warehouse move. At this time, we do have plans to cover the summer OR show, but we'll evaluate that as the show gets a little closer.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am disappointed that BPL didn't find a way to cover Winter OR. I will acknowledge that over the years the contents of Winter OR have become less interesting to me since most of the things that interest me come from cottage makers, and they don't typically exhibit. Even though less interesting, I think there are still products revealed at Winter OR that are of interest to your community.

If it was merely an issue of time, I would bet that there are people in this community who have good reporting skills (I don't) who would have been happy to stand in for the regulars if they would have been provided with a plane ticket, a hotel reservation, and a press pass.

In the language of my daughter, I would say not covering OR nor giving the BPL a heads up is a fail.

–Mark

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I would imagine some that live close by would not require anything other than help getting into the show (presspass).

Sending even a single person would have been nice.

Sounds like coverage of the summer show is not a sure thing either.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

We will be redefining how we do coverage for OR in the summer, and recruiting anyone from our Membership who is interested in attending the show. Stay tuned for more information about that, as we'll be putting together the plan in March.

FYI BPL WILL be at the ORSM this summer, I'm just not sure what's in store quite yet.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

I'll second (or third) the request that BPL cover the summer show. Most of what comes out is of little interest, but the coverage is neat and the odd item that really is cutting-edge is of particular interest to the early-adopters that frequent BPL. I never end up buying the stuff early in its life, but I do enjoy learning about it and the perspective BPL staffers bring to the developments.

Edit: Ryan's post beat mine. Good to hear!

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

Without coverage of OR winter this year on BPL, does anybody have another website they'd recommend with coverage?

Thanks.

David Ure

@familyguy

Greyson – have a look at http://www.trailspace.com. They are covering the show this year.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Thanks Ryan, I have to admit that if BPL is not going to be regularly attending the OR shows then I will have to reconsider my membership. It has been slow as far as new products go but I find it useful to plan my gear buying.

With the real slow down in articles and the lack of any of the really good technique/in depth comparative tests BPL not going to the OR shows is a real negative for me.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice to see trailspace covering the show. The new Cilogear lightweight mountaineering packs look neat but details are lacking:

cilogear

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

heres some details:
    http://www.cilogear.com/nwd75l.html
    over a grand for that puppy.

The new clamshells look good.

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

$1,250!?!?!?

Someone is very proud of their product. I don't care how you look at it… it's not worth what they are asking.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Hmm that is a huge load of cash. That's too bad because 28oz for a full featured, framed, 75 litre pack is really good.

Another interesting release in the new child sized light my fire sporks. Some people may be able to save a few grams with one of these:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/light-my-fire/spork-little/

Scott Toraason

@kimot2

I must have missed the boat on this and was unaware that BPL no longer considers it worthwhile to attend the winter OR show and may redefine how it covers the summer show. I also joined BPL in part because of the OR coverage BPL provided but have seen that coverage decline as well as the breadth of their content.

cameron eibl

@cjeibl

Locale: San Diego

A huge reason I joined BPL was for the comprehensive coverage of new and current gear. Both OR shows are an integral part of that. If future coverage is lacking I will not renew my membership.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

"Hmm that is a huge load of cash. That's too bad because 28oz for a full featured, framed, 75 litre pack is really good."

Ha, that's petty misleading too. The 28oz/800g is just for that sack, not for any extras like hipbelt, lid pocket, framesheet, straps….

I agree it's disappointing that BPL has skipped the winter OR.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I can think of a number of reasons why the OR show is of decreasing value right now.

* The UL cottage industry of interest to BPL doesn't exhibit at the OR shows either.
    * Many of the new exhibitors are wannabees who have (strange) products of no real value.
    * The OR show seems to have been moving heavier (big ticket) rather than lighter – Hummers anyone?
    * Those exhibitors who do have anything of value to BPL will be very happy to provide the info directly.

My 2c.

Cheers

Shawn Peyton
    BPL Member

@alifeoutdoors

Locale: Iron River, WI

I'm going to have to second that missing the winter OR show is to the advantage of BPL. Having gone once, it seems to me more of a party for the Outdoor Industry. Manufacturers, retailers, and reps all show up to basically compare ego's. It's all big business, wrapped up in a "show" of the outdoors. It's been a few years but I can't think of one vendor that had anything to offer the UL community except once in a blue moon, i.e. MSR Carbon Reflex, Thermarest NeoAir (so apparently all you have to pay attention to is Cascade Designs) Most of that you could catch on Backpackers report. Well I suppose GoLite has hit that level but my guess is that at least 90% of the gear people use here is not represented at the OR markets. Sorry I hope this didn't seem like a tirade against the Outdoor Industry but I was suprised to see that some based their subscriptions on the report BPL offered of the show. My time in the industry actually offered me little in terms of my personal gear other than clothing for the most part. Once again this may have changed a little as GoLite is now represented and a few other companies. I just still don't see it as a whole. It's like my subscription to Backpacker. I have it because it's enjoyable. However the trips rarely apply to me because I live in the midwest and the cottage industry gear I like to use is virtually ignored, because of advertising dollars. I enjoy Backpacker like I renjoy science fiction. I come here when I need real information, so I'm glad BPL doesn't sell ad space :P

Scott Toraason

@kimot2

BPL should be careful what it wishes for as I can’t be the only member that joined to support your site because I have an interest in your philosophy but I’m certainly not dedicated to it as a four season scrambler and light mountaineer in Washington State. If BPL desires a more dedicated audience I think you are headed in the right direction. Having said that I still enjoy your site and take what I need from the gospel to safely lighten my pack.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Here's a pretty cool 16oz 2/3 sleeping bag from the show (2nd item down) that is rated to 15 F:

http://gearjunkie.com/outdoor-retailer-show-products-2010

http://www.brooks-range.com/StoreBox/slpbag/elephantfootsleepingbag.htm

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools