Topic

Grunch

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    William McCreight

@whmcc

Locale: Oregon, USA

Thought I'd share a quick recipe I have used for years…interested in hearing how this stacks up insofar as caloric density, etc. if anyone wants to take a crack at figuring that part out.

GRUNCH–like the inside of a Peanut Butter Cup, without the Chocolate (best eaten with a big chocolate bar in the other hand)

Take peanut butter and honey, and fold them together in a big bowl, then fold in powdered milk (I like the kind with some butterfat in it to increase calories and yummy factor) and crushed graham crackers. You can also add nuts, raisins, or any other dried whatever. Eventually, the "wetness" of the honey and peanut butter oils gets absorbed into the dry ingredients, and you can adjust the amounts of ingredients to get a consistency you like.

I normally then stuff it into a plastic tub or other container, or a number of containers if a large batch, or heavy plastic bags, where it then sets up some and becomes relatively solid. Keeps forever, doesn't spoil, has a lot of calories and protein, and is just plain great to eat with a spoon, broken into chunks, or again, best with chocolate.

I first used this in the 1970's on a 300 miler on the PCT in Oregon where we did not cook, and lived on gorp, grunch, granola, and roasted soybeans, as well as the obligate chocolate bars.

Try it…believe me, it is a keeper!!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools