Topic

Padding ULA Hipbelt Pockets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Padding ULA Hipbelt Pockets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I just ruined a camera's LCD screen in my Circuit's pockets. I'm accustomed to just dropping a camera in a padded hipbelt pocket, zipping it up, and not thinking much about it. The ULA pocket doesn't offer much padding. I'm looking for ideas of something I can put in there, that will stay in place, not look tacky, and not be a hassle.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Bubble-pak

–B.G.–

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I'd think you'd have to cut out a fleece liner, and hand stitch it in.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Tom,
    I took some Gossamer Gear 1/8" foam (I'm sure any thin CC foam will work) and built a camera-specific liner for my hipbelt pocket. I held everything together with 2" wide plastic stucco tape – no residue to leak out the edges.

I've used it for about 400 miles with no structural problems. It has earned its keep, as I have "thwacked" the camera on more than one occasion while taking the pack off.

However – the constant motion of the camera against the foam "buffed" the plastic film screen protector almost immediately. It's a matter of grit and motion that is hard to overcome.

You may be able buff the LCD screen cover. Call your local NAPA dealer and ask about a "headlight lens polishing kit". And search over at dpReview for other solutions.

Good luck.
    And spend $10 on a pack of screen protectors.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools