Topic

Best Wind Shirt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Wind Shirt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Certainly light. It is one of my main windshirts. But if you are exterting yourself, it does not breath well. I sometimes use a Marmot Essence as a combination wind/rain shell. Breathes much better than the Montbell, is heavier, but still you will sweat if exertion level is high. This is pretty much true for any windshirt.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I have a Montane Featherlight Smock. Lightweight, breathable, hoodless, a half-zip, and has a good fit to it. Perfect list of features and it's fantastic for me.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

Montane Lite-Speed

I have two Patagonia Houdinis (don't ask) but it's always the Lite-Speed I reach for – I ride to work everyday and I wear it every day, including in the winter.

The reasons it's better than the Houdini are:

– good cut with dropped tail: the cut is just right for someone of my build cf the Rab windproofs which are strictly for ectomorphs and it's usefully long

– no flapping hood or cords that hit you in the face

– collar that can be zipped up around the neck

– extremely useful front zipped pocket (my Houdini is the older model with the internal pocket).

Drawbacks: it's not at all water resistant but at least it also dries out quickly – so scattered light showers are fine if there's also some wind and sun – think England in summer – but I got completely drenched on a ride a couple of weekends ago and in those circumstances hypothermia would be a real issue. That said, because of the ongoing process of desertification in Melbourne I no longer even carry a rainproof in my panniers even in winter … so getting caught out is rare.

I've had a couple of other windproofs (Patagonia Pneumatic, Mont Bell bike jacket) and the Montane is my favourite.

I've looked at the lighter Montanes but I want at least ONE pocket.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Another vote for Montane Lite-Speed.

Very comfortable, durable and versatile.
    Nice balance between weight and features.

Not very water resistant, but if it were, it probably wouldn't be breathable enough to wear while hiking.

Gregory Topf
    BPL Member

@notoriousgrt

Locale: PNW / Switzerland

I love the concept of the slipstream, as it is barely more than one needs for a strictly defined "windshirt". I use it mainly in the city though because the fabric is superlight and I would simply not bushwhack with it. Also, the cut is noticeably narrower than the marathon. For approx. an additional ounce you get the marathon: more durable fabric, vented, and adjustable elastic drawcord on the hem, and (good for 6'1" 180lbs) a more generous cut. They are both Orange, but I am sure you can do better. Breathability rulez with both jackets. Just match them to the application.

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

Just got the Spin Off Smock.

Weight is 65 g in M. I'm pretty excited. :-)

Also, the water resistance is really good, had it under the sink with no water coming through.

The hood is pretty basic though, no adjustments possible.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I use a Houdini but the MontBell Tachyon is 65 g in M as well and has drawcord adjustments on the hood and hem.

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

Looks like a draw.

But I must say that MontBell's cut doesn't work for me at all and VAUDE may be a bit more general.

Paul Davis

@fauxrealz

Locale: East Coast

I'm in the market for a wind shirt. I'm heading out to the JMT this summer and am looking to pick one up soon.

I've been attracted to the Patagonia Houdini simply based on the way people seem to rave about theirs. They have recently been put back into production, so I'm thinking about snagging one.

I'm holding off for right now simply based on the steep price tag. Has anyone used the Marmot Trail Wind Hoody and could you talk about your experience with it?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

"Best" of course is subjective.

I have a 2006 model Houdini and love it. It has a lot of holes in it from bushwhacking and fire sparks, it has a funky smell that I can't quite bleach out, and seams are starting to fray.

But it's sort of like a 10 year old pair of Carhartt's. It's really soft, I like not restoring DWR on it so it breathes really well, and it's been through a lot with me, so replacing it is sort of like retiring an 8 year old dog just so you can experience a few more months of puppy cuteness.

Plus…

I honestly haven't found a wind shirt that is *that* much lighter, and I definitely haven't found one that fits better.

+1 for Patagonia jacket fit in general.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

stumbled about a new one from monatane:

Montane Slipstream GL Jacket
    http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/windproof/slipstream-gl-jacket/418

makes my houdini look pretty outdated :)

but the tachyon looks pretty nice..

Mark Primack
    BPL Member

@bufa

Locale: Cape Cod and Northern Newfoundland

Picked up a TNF Verto a few weeks ago. Full-zip, hood, chest pocket. Weighs exactly 3 oz. in XL!, which is less than advertised for a medium.

I had been looking for a Montbell Tachyon or full-zip hoody, but MB no longer makes either and they do not appear to be available anywhere. I suspect that they had wear and tear problems with their ultralight fabric, because their new wind jacket has heavier fabric reinforcement at all wear points and weighs nearly twice what the older offering weighed.

The Verto is constructed of the newest Pertex Quantum, which is truly gossamer thin but claims to be much stronger than similar ultra thin ultra lightweight fabrics. Only time will tell if the Pertex holds up. Seems highly breathable, and treated with DWR. The only thing I don't like about the Verto is the elasticized cuffs, which are too loose to stop wind from blowing up the arms. I've taken to carrying two elastics in the pocket and putting them around the cuffs if a cold wind is blowing up the cuffs. Other than that, I'd rate as excellent.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW
    Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Locale: Southeast

I love my Houdini! In size XL it weighs 4.5 oz.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

is anyone able to compare the montbell tachyon to the new montane slipstream gl?

I would be interested in how the tachyon breathes, I'm thinking of replacing my houdini since the fit seems better

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

Have you guys tied the Stoic Wraith?

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-wraith-shell-mens

It has a full zip, a pocket and hood for 2.5 oz. My size medium momentum 90 jacket is 2.3 oz with full zip but no pockets or hood. The Wraith must use some very light weight fabric.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

does anyone know where to get the Montbell Tachyon? (large, blue) – can't find any store that has it in stock …

Thanks,
    Christoph

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I just got a medium Montane Slipstream in the mail yesterday. I instantly tore into the packaging and tried it on…..too small. I typically fit all mediums. This was way to small for me. I wanted to compare it with my OR Vigor jacket that weighs 5 oz or so. The OR jacket diffinately feels more substantial then the Montane Slipstream, but it should at twice the wieght.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools