Topic

Storing Fuel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Storing Fuel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Is it considered an unsafe practice for me to store my fuel inside my pack rather than in one of the outside pockets? Obviously, it would be quite a tragedy if I was to have a leak in my fuel container while inside my pack. So now I'm thinking it would be smarter to pack it in one of the outside pockets. Where do you guys store your fuel?

-Sid

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

First of all, you might want to mention what kind of fuel you carry, e.g. alcohol, white gas, etc. Some fuels such as kerosene are particularly obnoxious when spilled. Denatured alcohol is not.

Next, you might want to mention the quantity of fuel that you start your trip with.

Last, you might want to describe the container. Some seal much better than others.
    –B.G.–

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Bob,
    I use denatured alcohol or sometimes Everclear. The quantity will depend on the length of the trip, but usually no more than 7 oz. The container is a Little Nipper Platypus with a spout cap.

-Sid

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Locale: Southeast

If it's just alcohol you should be fine unless it gets into your food or water. But anyway, I usually store my fuel in a water bottle pocket, it works out pretty well even if there is a leak.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I agree, you should be able to just throw it in the pack, maybe wrapped in a shirt. Of course, if it is Everclear, you want to preserve its purity and essence, so put the Platypus in a zip-loc bag. Then it needs to have a hazmat sticker on it, something about "no open flames."
    –B.G.–

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

I'm trying to think which option poses a greater threat of leakage. Inside my pack there wouldn't really be anything to poke my fuel platy (assuming I packed it properly). Storing my fuel platy in one of the outside pockets could possibly increase my chances of getting the fuel platy poked (by a branch or something) and causing a leak.

-Sid

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

I used to use "Heet" in the yellow bottle. My method of storage was a recycled/reclaimed plastic shampoo type bottle with the snap shut dispenser top. I secured this container in a sealed ziploc in a seperate zippered pouch added to the outside of my pack. Overkill, maybe so, but denatured alcohol is toxic. Read the bottle. The ingredients that are added to it are meant to keep those so inclined from drinking the stuff.

I have since moved on to Everclear. It rides in an upper side pocket of my pack without the benefit of the sealed ziploc. The container is a newly purchased "holy water bottle". It has the flip up style dispenser top. These bottles happen to come in 4 ounce sizes for less than $2.00 apiece at the local religious supply. They are flat sided like similar Nalgene style bottles. I pack two side by side in the one upper pocket.

Everclear is a great fuel. Its added benefits are secondary uses as emergency anticeptic and mixed with your beverage of choice in the proper proprtions a satisfying nightcap before turning in for the night.

I shy away from throwing it my pack because I use a plastic pack liner. If the worst should happen my sleeping bag would be swimming in the stuff as it's the first thing into my pack after the rolled pad.

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

"Everclear is a great fuel. Its added benefits are secondary uses as emergency anticeptic and mixed with your beverage of choice in the proper proprtions a satisfying nightcap before turning in for the night." -Newton

I agree. Unfortunately, Everclear is not sold where I live (Florida). I am able to acquire some every now and then.

-Sid

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools