Topic

2010 Gear List for Superior Hiking Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 2010 Gear List for Superior Hiking Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael Johnstone
    BPL Member

@mjohnstone

Locale: Midwest

I just posted my gear list in the Community Gear Lists community. I am preparing for a 4-day trip on the Superior Hiking Trail. The list is a work in process. I need to refine and measure all of my personal gear – I learned a lot from the BPL course and I have some changes to make. Also, I need to plan for gear to carry for my 10 year old son and my dog.

I would be happy to get feedback on what I have so far.

Thanks!

P.S. My nod to BPL on the gear list. I adapted my gear list from the template for the SEP course.

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

Looks pretty solid to me. When do you plan on going? Temps? Are you comfortable sleeping on just a Torsolite?

I plan on getting up there hopefully this summer after Isle Royale this spring. Make sure you share a trip report. I would love to see it.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Michael,

Those of us who know the trail and region can offer a better critique if we know the dates you're going.

Michael Johnstone
    BPL Member

@mjohnstone

Andy and Jim,

I am planning on going in early June. Roughly the 3rd through the 6th. I do not have any sections in mind – first time on the trail. I would gladly take any advice you have.

Andy, I have not slept on the Torsolite before. I used a Thermarest Ridgerest before, cut down to torso size. 9oz. It worked great except for the bulk when I was hiking. I believe that the Torsolite will compact better with only a 1oz penalty.

Mike

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I don't know your son but for most 10 year olds I'd probably avoid the more spectacular parts of the trail (short legs and big steps up/down are a poor mix). I'm assuming that you're not planning on long daily distances.

Heading away from Duluth from the Castle Danger trailhead might work well.

You could camp along the Gooseberry River on night 1

Then see Gooseberry Falls on day 2 and camp at Blueberry Hill

Hike to and along the Splitrock River on day 3 and then camp at one of the sites on the river.

You'd have a lazy last morning in camp with a short hike to the Splitrock Trailhead and hang out by the lake and the State Park until the shuttle comes by on it's return trip.

Or you could self shuttle using bikes, I've done that with this stretch.

That route starts with a bit of a climb but is easy going from there to Gooseberry. Then there's a relatively gentle three mile climb to Blueberry Hill. After Blueberry Hill it's downhill to the Splitrock River. The west side of the Splitrock River is a rugged but beautiful two miles. Returning to the highway on the east side is a walk in the park.

Kudos for starting junior out on a enlightened path. With any luck he'll never haul a monster pack!

A question about your gearlist … the items without weights listed are not taken?

Early June can be hard to pack for on the SHT. It could be cold and wet or it could be hot and dry. You might get off the trail before the mosquito hatch or might not. Watch the weather forecast and check the conditions page on the SHTA website.

I am more tolerant of insects than most folks but I wouldn't care to sleep under a tarp in a bivy and a head net during skeeter season (hovering and buzzing near my head). Your mileage may vary of course. A Tarptent Squall 2 or Cloudburst 2 or a SixMoonDesigns Lunar Duo or Refuge wouldn't cost too many more ounces or $$.

I usually bring more than 2 liters of water carrying capacity, especially if staying at Blueberry Hill (often dry at mid summer, maybe not in early June … check with the SHTA website and/or hiker group at Yahoo)

Campfires can keep a 10 year old entertained, a UL saw could be worth bringing (Sawvivor?). Be aware that with 2009's spring ice storm and fall windstorm there is a LOT of unseasoned downed wood. It can take an educated eye to know what will burn well.

Michael Johnstone
    BPL Member

@mjohnstone

Jim,

Thanks for all of the information.

My 10 year old is 5'2" and is surprisingly strong – 10 miles on trail is within his capability. That said, I don't want to push him too hard and subsequently turn him off to backpacking. The mileages with the route that you recommended sound pretty good.

Yes, the items without weights are items that I am leaving behind. I am leaving these spots open for now as I tune my gear list.

I will investigate the tents and UL saw. Thanks for the suggestions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools