Topic

Looking for an all eVent Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for an all eVent Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

I'm looking for an all eVent jacket. I'm not interested in the ID all eVent jacket. The cut is not very athletic. I would prefer full zip, but half will work. Not interested in a hood either. Thanks everyone.

What's out there?

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The other other no hood eVENT jacket I know about is the showers pass elite cycling jacket. A bit heavy, but it does have pitzips which I need even with eVENT when pushing hard.

Alas, I didn't find the cut that much slimmer than the ID jacket.

–Mark

Juston Taul

@junction

Looks like an opening in the market.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Hey Mark!

I've been looking at this jacket (Showers Pass) for a bit now. Do you still use it? Other than cut, do you like it? Or would you pass on it?

Thanks much,

Doug

David Ure

@familyguy

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Wildthings Superlight Alpinist Jacket.

Juston Taul

@junction

David,

How is the fit?

David Ure

@familyguy

I believe the fit will depend on which line, but I do believe that there is a Westcomb outlet store in your area (Vancouver). I have heard they run 'athletic' like Arcteryx.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I would agree that Rab makes some nice jackets, and Wild things has a good rep so their jacket is most likely nice as well.. but I don't think any of their jackets are hoodless, though the rab drizzle has a roll away hood.

As to the showers pass… I have been using it since Sept… mostly cycling. It's a good quality and designed and cut for a cyclist. I feel like it's too baggy walking around, but it just right when riding a bike. I can certainly use it without swimming in sweat in a decent range of conditions but even with pitzips open, I can't dump as much heat and moisture as I would ideally like. I am comparing shadowpass, dri ducks, and montbell peak + tech tee when working hard. Dri ducks aren't quite as good… but the difference seems small. Still trying to qualify the difference.

My dream is a waterproof jacket that doesn't cause me to sweat excessively between 35-60F when I am working hard such as backpacking with a steady elevation gain, or riding >20mph on flat roads. So far, nothing that has a CFM <10 lets me dump enough heat and moisture. This means that even an unlined windshirts like The Houdini doesn't really work. Of course, if I snow my pace it's not a problem and several jackets would most likely be fine. It's just that I don't want to slow down.

I keep coming back to some sort of soft shell solution where I am not "dry", but I am a comfortable. I find myself being very tempted by the new rab vapour trail lite but the gear fund is close to empty so I need to sell some things before I give it a try.

–Mark

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Give Westcomb a look. I think my Mirage SL (special edition made for backcountry.com) is the best shell I've ever owned, and my Vapor FX is great for skiing. I should mention that I am a big Wild Things fan; I love my Alpinist Bibs and expect the jacket to be just as good. Both Westcomb and Wild Things have a very athletic cut.

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

kia ora, maybe check out Macpac Traverse Jacket, 3 layer ripstop event, dont know the weight though but it could be worth a look. its got a hood though, but im sure you have scissors

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Just sew and seam seal 3/4" webbing & a QR buckle to secure a folded or rolled up hood. That way you'll always have the hood for an emergancy.

It workes on my GTX ski patrol parka very well.

Juston Taul

@junction

Anyone have experience with the Westcomb Skeena jacket? It's what I want but it weighs 19oz. Jesus. Maybe I just just get a simple wind shirt. Perhaps the Montane FeatherLite Smock. It's light and should shed a little rain.

Nathan Liechty

@capitalnathan

I also have one of the showers pass elite jackets and Mark just about nailed it. Its cut as a cycling jacket, the sleeves have tons of girth and the back drops pretty low. For a cycling jacket I believe its the best bet but for other applications I would probably keep looking.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

What about the Rab Drillium jacket?
    I recently got one and love it.
    It has a drop tail and long sleeves great for riding I would imagine. It also has a roll away hood so you have the best of both worlds. there is a BPL review of it too.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Philip Carr

@unsponsored

Locale: UK

How about Montane?

They are pretty much a light weight brand and use eVent in there shell clothing

http://www.montane.co.uk/

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

I own a rab drillium and i have tried quite a few Montane and rab jackets.

It depends of the fit you want, the rab drillium for exemple is made for skinny people or you wont layer much under it.
    For the Montane jackets the fit is very different from one jacket to another. There is a huge difference between the the superfly ( for less skinny people than the rab drillium already ) and for exemple the superfly XT wich is much wider for the size.

Jason Smith
    BPL Member

@jasons

Locale: Northeast

Does anyone know where to purchase a XL rab drillium jacket that can be shipped to the US.

Edward Alt

@emalt3

You can get a Rab Momentum jacket from campsaver.com

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

XL available @ mammothgear.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

I keep coming back to some sort of soft shell solution where I am not "dry", but I am a comfortable. I find myself being very tempted by the new rab vapour trail lite but the gear fund is close to empty so I need to sell some things before I give it a try.

–Mark

Mark did you ever look at a softshell/hardshell hybrid? Like the RAB Fusion jacket or TNF Trajectory Hybrid?

Tim Haynes

@timalan

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I've got a Montane Superfly, size small, and it is a very athletic fit for me (5'10, 160#), and works great over a baselayer and an Icebreaker sweater or a softshell… can even layer under a Montbell ultralight down vest (medium) if I need to. Weight is pretty good at ~14oz. Pockets are high and work well with backpack waist straps. Comes down low in the back and is great for rain protection and breathability.

I've worn it in hours of pouring rain from temps in the low 30s to temps in the low 80s, and have never had a problem — simply amazing fabric. Stylish enough for everyday wear as well as for backpacking.

My challenges are that the hood is bigger than I would like and doesn't really cinch down; the front exterior pocket is larger than I would like, and items in the bottom sometimes get in the way of using the left hand pocket; double zipper is sometimes a little hard to get started.

When I got it, I purchased both S and M sizes and they were very close — M would have been better as a primary backpacking jacket, but I went with the S for it's stylishness for everyday wear.

Other eVent that might be worth looking into — REI now has a couple of eVent jackets for their REI brand, Backcountry.com has eVent jackets in all of their house brands (backcountry.com, Cutter and Stoic), which can often be had at a decent discount.

For fit and finish, I'd recommend Westcomb, but their stuff is normally pretty pricey compared to the other options. But no matter which way you go, eVent is worth it, IMHO.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools