Topic

Your EARLIEST Digitized Backpacking Photo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Your EARLIEST Digitized Backpacking Photo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

So cool.

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

I agree. Very cool.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Jeff — where are your pics? Moocher! :)

Miguel — Wow, a single wall, non-breathable fabric dome tent that's condensation free — I want one!

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

Very Very Cool!!

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Locale: Southeast

John, WOW that is just crazy happening, and for the record I had no intenion of getting that pack, my dad just "happened" to pick it up when I joined scouts, Worst pack ever.

Don Wilson
    BPL Member

@don-1-2-2

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska

That's my dad and my brother and me (second from left) and a couple of friends. On the AT in PA in about 1975. Gotta love the 70s. I'm pretty sure I bought that pack I am wearing at KMart. I upgraded to a monster Kelty a year or two later. Still have the Kelty.

On the AT in PA - 1975

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

With my ex-photo retailer hat on…
    This is a very quick 'restoration" job, 3 clicks on Photoshop. The reason I am posting this is a reminder of what can be done to save your precious shots. BTW, I am not very good at it…
    Franco
    restoration

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The bad color is due to these rolls of film having sat in a drawer for many years. I found these when I was a teen and 126 film was nearly done with places to process it. The fact that they even came out was amazing!

Me and my brother at Rainier as little ones:
    Rainier 76?77?

Us sitting in front of the climbers ranger station:
    Rainier, 76?77?

I love digital cameras in SO many ways. I never feel guilty taking photos – there is no thinking about how all I have is 24 or 36 photos, no cost after buying the camera outside of charging the battery. I take SO many more photos. I am glad though I took those rolls of film from my Mom back then and got them developed. A good half of them were trashed due to being all purple.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Franco, both my shots above were retouched with Photoshop. (I spend a lot of time retouching photos) It does bring out the colors and sharpen blurry images, but there is also something atmospheric and quaint about the fuzzy focus and monochromatic hues, too, don't you think?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Another quick job before lunch..
    Sarah1
    Sarah 2

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Miguel….I have to say there is something about the bad look of 1970's era 126 snapshots. They were not pretty but it has a "feel" :-)

Though Franco did clean those shots up…lol!

But nothing can change that sweet, sweet outfit I have on…lol!

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

But nothing can change that sweet, sweet outfit I have on…lol!

Disco Queen of the Snowball Hall? 8-P

I see you even have Day-Glo snow at your feet!

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Me and my Daughter 1990
    Rebecca and me, Square Rock track 1990 (Rebecca just returned from 6 weeks trekking Nepal)

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Alaska

This is the oldest picture I can come up with right now. Its not real old but its in Alaska in my pre-ultra light days for sure. I am on the right caring a hand-me-down Gregory that my grandfather gave me. It must be 20- to 30 years old. I don't use this pack anymore except when I play pack mule for a bunch of kids. My brother the left is using an external frame pack that might be even older. We've both upgraded but my brother still uses his old external frame when he has to haul really big loads.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

CUTE!!! (both the young Sarbar and Tony's daughter).

1990 doesn't seem that long ago at all — until one realizes that the cute baby up above is now a 20-y.o. lady!

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Took the time to emulate Franco and retouched a few photos here. Don't worry, I've thrown away all the image files I worked on!

Hope you all don't mind…

1263583830_19997a.jpg

1263583975_19998a.jpg

1263603434_20014a.jpg

1263609550_20017a.jpg

1263613688_20021a.jpg

1263613819_20022a.jpg
    Retouching this one was difficult!!!

1263617489_20024a.jpg

Jennifer W
    BPL Member

@tothetrail

Locale: So. Cal.

Haleakala Crater, HI, 1986. My brother on the left, my Aunt, US National Park Service Ranger, in the center, I'm on the right. One of my first backpacking trips.

My Grandma dropped us off to hike the crater and would meet us at the top of the switchbacks in three days.Maui

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I looks like a Grasshopper stove, and it used butane. That was state-of-the-art in 1977.
    –B.G.–

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

In that year, I had about the same crappy tent, crappy stove, and haircut.
    –B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

See the above photo of me in my Snowball Disco outfit for a reason why I hope the era of 1976 or so never comes back.

LOL!

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

1973 winter X-C ski weekend in the Adirondacks. We carried everything but the kitchen sink, including our skiis on the way in and sometimes our snowshoes. I'm probably wearing army surplus mouse boots, and my X-C ski boots are inside my pack. I'm also wearing very heavy army surplus padded wool flight pants.

Notice the frame pack with the extender bar up top, big sleeping bag tied on, skiis on the side, big parka tied on the back. Inside is another skiing daypack. Also an Optimus 111B stove plus fuel, maybe 4 lbs, plus a Korean war surplus stove, another 1 1/2 lbs (in case the super-reliable 111B doesn't work, and maybe to heat some tea for lunch).

I was young and fit, but I almost didn't make it in the five miles.

My wife asks me to point out that I still have just about everything I took then except some rented equipment.

Elliott Wolin, 1973, winter Adirondacks hike/ski trip

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

Forks of the kern

Forks of the Kern trail near the star just entering the Golden Trout Wilderness…or Weederness as the sign informed us.

Very first trip decked out in my school clothes, a borrowed backpack from the 70's, and a pair of brand new NF boots. Awesome

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Nice! Curious, Patrick, do you still use an external from time to time?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools