Topic

H2O2?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    A Lee Deavers jr

@got2go4hike

I am new to backpacking and need to do a lot of reforming before I make it to the ultralight level. I appeal to you experts to shoot straight and hold nothing back. My posts’ are, often times, a means of reformation; for example, I am trying to overcome “more is better” when it is competing with “light is better”.

I am 48 years old; jog 4 miles a day; eat only organic well balanced food; avoid drinking water that has chlorine in it; hyper concerned about hygiene but not paranoid (yet).

Now, at home, I have 35% solution of food grade hydrogen peroxide (not the 3% found in stores). I use the 35% solution to make a 3% solution for various things: after shower body wash, bathroom sanitizer/cleaner, kitchen sanitizer/cleaner, listerine substitute, toothpaste substitute, antibiotic, and nasal spray.

Is there room for this 35% H2o2 in my pack? A little bit goes a long way. Three fluid ounces will produce a 3% 35 fluid ounce solution.

I know there are people who are fighting for water companies to replace chlorine with H2O2. I do not know what the “parts per million” suggestion is for H2O2 but there is a possiblity that it could be used in place of the water purification tablets.

For what its worth: I have been using H2O2 as a tooth paste substitute for 6 years now. I have not had a cavity since then and each year my dentist has said that I do not need a “cleaning”.

I have read the hygiene articles on this website.

I would still have to use Dr. Bronner’s peppermint castile soap since H2O2 does not clean. I don’t think H2O2 would be a better substitute for Purell since a 35% solution would burn you.

Well, I guess I have anwered my own question unless you see something of significance?

Lee Deavers

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Where on the green earth are you getting 35% H2O2? I thought the anti terrorist hysterics had gotten it off the civilian market?

— replace chlorine with H2O2 —
    I think what they are talking about is O3 – ozone, not H202.

Otherwise, I think you may have answered your own question, as you say. You may be relying a bit much on the H2O2 at home as well. There are some potential problems with excessive dental use but you can talk that over with your dentist or DH.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

We used 30% H202 in the hospital. Always kept it refrigerated because it was unstable.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools