Topic

Current Favorite Very Lightweight Rain Jackets?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Current Favorite Very Lightweight Rain Jackets?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Kayler

@chriskayler

Locale: Outside

I'm trying to purchase a really light rain jacket, as a "just in case" type of thing, for trips where rain isn't really predicted. I had settled on the North Face Triumph Anorak @ 5.4 oz. but when I went to order it using my employee discount today, realized it has been discontinued. I know it's still available online, but I'm not willing to pay full price for it :)

Any others out there in this weight category that I should know of?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

My size M Marmot Essence weighs 6.4oz.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

dri ducks. Size L, 6oz, $10-$15 depending on how good a deal you get for jacket AND pants. More breathable that any of the super light PU jackets though they don't have pitzips. Durability isn't great, but so long as your aren't bushwacking they can lack a year or two of use.

–Mark

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I just got a hooded rain jacket from AGG, 4 oz for what was called Medium size. However, they run large, and there is room for at least three wool shirts under this, so it is at least one or two wool shirts larger than my normal Medium. But that's OK. For a rain jacket, you want it a little roomy.
    –B.G.–

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Marmot sells the Essence and Mica jackets which are basically the same thing but the Mica has two hip pockets and the Essence has pit zips and 1 chest pocket instead. Compared to the Triumph Anorak you gain an ounce, but you get a full main zipper so you don't have to pull it over and the Essence gives you pit zips which I value.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Dan,

Does the Esssence actually give you pit zips, or just a flap-covered pit opening? The pictures look like the latter. I also value pit zips, but don't know if simply pit openings would work for me.

Thanks.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

No zips just a flap covered opening.
    Essence Vent 1Essence Vent 2

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

if you can hold out for a while maybe the remaining Triumph's will eventually go on sale.

I recently purchased a Triumph at closeout from Backcountry (last one).
    Very light(size XL = 180g or 6.34oz).
    Very nice for being so light.

North Face Diad
    Another slightly heavier option is the North Face Diad, not the stretch model but the older non stretch. Have they stopped making it also ? not sure.
    its a full service full zip jacket and Great.
    (My size XL = 271g or 9.5oz)

David Ure

@familyguy

7.7oz Outdoor Research Zealot. Gortex Paclite.

Christopher Kayler

@chriskayler

Interesting find on the AGG Rain Jacket … I think that would actually make an excellent vapor barrier jacket for winter! I've been looking for a lightweight VB didn't cost an arm and a leg. This compares pretty favorably to the heavier RBH Designs stuff. What do others think?

http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=AGRNJKT&cat=75

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Thanks Bradford!

Christopher Kayler

@chriskayler

Nevermind …

Anonymous
    Inactive

I also ordered my TNF Triumph Anorak on closeout from Backcountry….

Size is a Small. It weighs 5.7 ounces. I thought it would be weighing in at barely over 5 ounces in the small size, seeing as they claimed 5.4… which I assumed was based off a medium.

Had it not been on clearance, I would have returned it for a Marmot with a full zip for the small weight difference….

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The silnylon jacket has been around for years. Dancing Light Gear (Brawny, trail name) first made that particular one, but stopped in about 2005. Antigravity Gear took over her design and used to call it Brawny gear, but then changed the name probably when they changed the design.

Equinox makes a silnylon jacket too, but it's heavier at about 6 oz.

Weiyi Wang
    Spectator

@wwyjedi

Locale: mid

another vote for essence. but size up.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Christopher, I hadn't thought of my hooded rain jacket as a vapor barrier, but I suppose it would work. I think of a vapor barrier as being something snug and relatively close to the skin. This thing is a little more like a tent. If you could get locked into the right size, it would serve as a vapor barrier. It has light elastic at the bottom, velcro at the cuffs, and a drawstring at the hood opening.

Did I mention it was only 4 oz.?
    –B.G.–

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"Does the Esssence actually give you pit zips, or just a flap-covered pit opening?"
    I bought an Essence online (which is in the mail) based on my understanding that it had pit zips, but it sounds like Bradford is right that they are just flap covered openings. On Marmot's website they refer to them as 'integrated cooling vents'.

The Essence has been changed and updated many times over the past few years. It used to not have any underarm venting and now it seems to have flap covered vents, but it's plausible that some versions have real pit zips…I dunno.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

My son received a Marmot Precip jacket for Christmas. It has mesh lined "core vent" pockets high on the chest. They are intriguing but I suspect that they won't be of much use when carrying a backpack- it looks like they will be just barely outboard of the pack straps.

I have a couple light jackets with a cape vent in the back. Useless for anything other than running or cycling in my opinion. For hiking with a pack the vent is blocked. Stop for a rest with the pack off and the cold wind blows up my skirt. Turn your back to a cold wind and get frozen.

I want to be able to seal up a wind or rain jacket. That means every opening needs to have a zip.

Travis Butler

@sherpaxc

I can't find a Marmot Mica or Essence on sale anywhere in a size medium. Any insight on where I can find one?

Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

Locale: Smokies

I really like my Marmot Essence. I am amazed at how well this thing breathes.

I don't mind the lack of pit zips, never liked using them anyway. The mesh holes are more simple and lighter. I haven't missed two hand pockets yet. The Napolean pocket is okay. I don't know if I like it or not. The hood is great with a large brim.

I don't know how exact my scale is but my mens small came out to be a tad over 6 oz.

Joseph

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I have one jacket/parka shell with a cape vent across the back. Since I was heading to Nepal with it, I decided to forego the vent and seal it up against cold. So, I just put a few pieces of double-stick tape in there to effectively close the vent. After about five years, I replaced the tape.
    –B.G.–

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have Cabela's Rainy River GTX PacLite suit.

For the money, at $99. each these days, it's absolutely the best lightweight suit out there. Good quality and design. Money back garantee.

Yeah, I'd like to have eVent but that money will go into things like new ski climbing skins or a TarpTent Scarp 2, etc. for winter trips. Ya gotta weigh carefully where the disposable income goes – or so I've been told by my "Secretary of War".

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Cabela's sells the Rainy River parka in Tall, which I bought in size Large even though I'm only 5' 10", 180 lbs., beause it is longer and covers my butt better. (Esp. if I'm just wearing shorts in hot weather.) I believe Cabela's is among the VERY few retailers that sell lightweight rain gear in Tall sizes.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Do a search on eBay and you can find the Essence in men's medium for around $100, NWT (at least one I saw). I've got a Mica in men's medium for $100 (blue). You might find the Mica in men's medium on eBay as well.

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

I couldn't really find anything in a medium, but if you can squeeze into a small then Moontrail and Campsaver both have the Marmot Mica on sale for $99 and $110 respectively. STP have the Essence in a small for $78.

Christopher Kayler

@chriskayler

Well, thanks for all of the insight everybody.

I've actually decided to go with the AGG Ultralight Rain Jacket. At ~4 oz it's super light for a "just in case". Completely non-breathable, but that's fine for waiting out an unexpected shower or afternoon t-storm. Also, I emailed asking about pants, and they can provide them for $35 and at 3 oz. or less. I really like this as I had been needing a vapor barrier suit for winter as well. Double duty, and this VB set is lighter and less expensive than any others I was able to find!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools