Topic

Best Windscreen Material?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Best Windscreen Material?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Drew Davis
    BPL Member

@drewnc2005

Locale: Denver, CO

I’ve been making alcohol stoves for a while now but I lost my MSR windscreen. I bought some aluminum flashing at a habitat for humanity store but to me, it seems a little too “sturdy.” Also, it is very sharp anywhere I make a cut. So, I was wondering if I needed to some how just soften the edges and make a clasp a la JasonKlass style, or is there anywhere I can buy very flexible aluminum like the MSR type windscreens? I like the MSR type because they are so packable but am willing to convert to flashing if need be. So anyway, the question is this: what is the best material to use?

Stephen Eggleston

@happycamper

Locale: South Bayish

Check out the ‘how to make a windscreen’ article on this site by Jay Ham. He uses an EZ foil type ovenpan liner. I have used this material several times for an alcohol stove windscreen with success. It’s cheap, available and easy to work with. It won’t last forever but then it doesn’t need to. There have been threads here in the forum explaining how to anneal(sp?) aluminum material to give it more flexibility and a better ‘hand’.

I think flashing can be too heavy for windscreen purposes. It also has a toxic finish that gives off fumes when burnt. Heavy duty aluminum foil is a bit too light for an alcohol stove in my opinion, but I do like it for canister stove windscreens.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Ditto on oven liner for windscreens.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

Another ditto on making your own from an EZ-Foil oven liner, but you can buy something that feels just like the MSR windscreen here:

http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=144

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado
    Stephen Eggleston

@happycamper

Locale: South Bayish

Jason, interesting stuff. Is it heavier or lighter than EZ foil oven liner aluminum?? Also, you mentioned that it did not brown like flashing, did it smoke or give off any fumes at all?? Is the coloring a coating?

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Good questions. I can’t compare it to the EZ foil you mentioned. It didn’t appear to give off any fumes or smoke. Regarding the coloring, I’m sure it’s some type of coating. I really want the plain aluminum one. I’m just waiting until my art store gets some more in. I’m not a fan of the colors.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools