Topic

Mid/Tipi Zipper help.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Mid/Tipi Zipper help.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I have made a few pyramids/Tipi's recently, and I can't seem to get the door zipper to come out very well. I have basically used a flat felled seam going from the ground to the apex. Then I try to add a zipper to one of the seams that stops a distance from the apex.. The problem is where the zipper starts. I can't come up with a good way to transition from the flat felled seam to the zipper since the seam is "interlocking", how do you essential unlock it without making a mess of the seam? Should I be using a different seam?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

when i do zippers for shelters i try very hard to make the zippered part of the panel and the non-zip part 2 separate pieces.

the mids i have made are only 4-5 feet tall so the zip goes almost all the way to the top. I sew the zip into the 2 panels then cut off the top 6-10" of the panel. I sew on some of the tarp fabric and some reinforcement fabric as this will be the peak of the mid. Once that is done i have my large panel with zipper than i can sew into the other 3 large panels.

-Tim

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools