Topic

Value of a windshirt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Value of a windshirt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Josh,

Probably so. But UL advocates multiple use. If one item can be used for more than one and save weight, then it makes sense. However, the is always an economy of scale…

I don't overheat like many, so I am going to a single item Rain/Wind combo. Marmot Essence at 7 oz. We shall see what it really weighs when it gets here, and if it does both for me.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

So Mary, you've tried and liked the baselayer/ windshirt combo? I've been thinking bout it (same locale) and It seems like a good idea if the windshirt can deal with the rain. the wind in the gorge can be very chilly AND misty. I get too hot in my softshell and wet out my Rush jacket. Glad to hear that you use this setup with success. I'll have to give it a shot.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

i was always under the impression that true rain gear is to be used for rain gear only, as the membranes that keep the water beading up are pretty fragile. therefor i like my 4 oz windshirt to wear unless it's really raining

No…..the 'membrane' in a waterproof garment does not cause the water to beed up. The membrane is on the inside of the jacket so it's not directly exposed to the rain/elements. The 'DWR' (durable water repellent) coating is on the outside of the garment and this is what causes the water to beed up. Any DWR coating wears over time so you should re-treat this every few years depending on the level of use. Having a functioning DWR coating keeps the jacket breathing well. Once the DWR fails and water soaks into the nylon out layer then the jacket has 'wetted out' and it won't be nearly as breathable until it dries again.

If you only use your rain gear as rain gear then you'll be wearing it less so you'll need to re-apply the DWR coating less often, but this isn't a big deal.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Jeff, I've used the base layer plus windshirt combo successfully in the 40's and upper 30's when it's breezy. When it gets lower than that I have a light fleece vest that I add over the base layer and under the windshirt. Of course I also use a headband or cap, depending on temp, to help regulate my body temperature.

I wouldn't expect the windshirt to keep moisture out beyond mist, though. When the mist turns to drizzle, at some point it's going to soak through the windshirt.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

A lot of posts here suggest that a windshirt is primarily for use against … wind. Which makes sense, it's great for that. But I find it's a great layer over just a hiking shirt starting out on a chilly morning even if there's no wind — I don't carry a fleece, my next-up warmth layer is something I could only walk in for any distance if it were quite cold out. A windshirt plus warm hat and mittens to allow for some temp adjustment without stopping — that's a good combo for me regardless of wind.

Mat D
    Spectator

@matd

Locale: Europe

Interesting approach Brian. A friend of mine who's quite cold resistant uses a windshirt in a similar way eliminating the fleece altogether.

What would be your next-up warmth layer?

Dave T

@davet

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

I live on the Central CA coast and hike the Sierra. I just haven't found any use for my wind shirt. It seems that it can be replaced by a WPB rain shell or a soft shell when it is cool. There is no need for it when it it warm, and besides over short sleeves it is too clammy. For warmer conditions if I need some sort of shell I'll throw on the long sleeve shirt I carry for evenings. I tried one on a bicycle and went back to a highly porous shell, again it was just too clammy. But that's my preference, others obviously have made better use of theirs.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I use my windshirt every day of every trip and love it.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I love a windshirt (Houdini) over Merino UL hoody. With gloves like PossumDown, I am comfortable down into the 20's.

Simple. Light. Doesn't get any better (almost).

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools