Topic

Klean Kanteen

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Alexander Dunn

@adunn

Locale: Central Mass

Anyone replace a bowl or second cookpot with a klean kanteen? May add weight but I’m thinking versatility with:
    • one small cook pot
    • platypus bag for water carry
    • 12oz. wide mouth klean kanteen for trail water bottle/cup/mug/soup bowl.

Any thoughts on this set up?

Thanks

al

robert k
    BPL Member

@rob-k

Locale: SF Bay Area

I have a 12oz Klean Kanteen and was also thinking of using it to boil water.Mainly to add boiling water to rehydrate Mountain House,etc meals. Unlike some cheap(er) stainless steel bottles, a single-wall Klean Kanteen will boil water just fine either on a stove top or canister stove. However, since it has no handles the neck gets quite hot ,so picking it up to pour the heated water into the pouch pretty much requires gloves or some other insulation between your hands and the steel. 12ozs isn't very much in terms of water carrying capacity either. Better than nothing I guess, but there are better and lighter alternatives. I suppose that if you were in an area where fires were allowed, you could just carry a 12 or 18 oz Klean Kanteen and no stove or fuel and boil water or cook(if you had to)over an open fire.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have found some other stainless bottles that have a wide mouth like a Nalgene and the lid snaps off on the same manner. I've used them for making survival kits, making a good kit container as well as water carrier and backup purification, using the bottle to boil water (I add a few MicroPur tabs to my kits as well). I think this is a great strategy for day hiking, providing an emergency boiler without hauling more stuff.

Wide mouth stainless bottle

I found this style a bit lighter than others, but they are harder to find. Klean Kanteen and Guyot Designs both make wide mouth bottles now too. Just watch out for designs with plastic threads that might melt.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools