Topic

“Blue” CCF vs EvazoteVolara

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking “Blue” CCF vs EvazoteVolara

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

This thread suggests the R value of these is essentially the same. Is the advantage to Evazote/Volara that they are slightly lighter and more durable then? The blue stuff seems plenty durable & light to me and much cheaper. However, one downside for it is lack of packability IMHO unless you cut some reinforced slits so it can be folded like a Z-rest.

I need to get some more padding soon for my son and am trying to decide if Evazote (eg, GG Thinlight) is worth almost 4x the cost of blue from Walmart. I believe in that same thread Richard Nisley indicated the "better" blue foams will spring back after compression – I was surprised the stuff from Walmart did this.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

There's not a lot of difference between them. It may be worth while trying the cheaper version (subject to basic checks!) at first, just to see.

Cheers

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

So people are spending 3-4x on Thinlights mostly to save a few grams? I guess I also understand they are somewhat stickier, which helps bags from sliding around. Blue doesn't have this property.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Yep. A quick check comparing the Gossamer gear 3/8" and REI blue foam has the gg at 6.0 – 6.4 oz/sq yd and the blue foam at 7.2 oz/sq yd.

I don't see it as being drastically more expensive though. Walmart.com lists their 72" length 3/8" sleeping pad at $20. The slightly shorter 60" pad at gg is also $20.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

> Walmart.com lists their 72" length 3/8" sleeping pad at $20

Wow. It's gone up a lot then. I bought that last June for <$6.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Walmart still has the $6 pads. Not sure what pad Nia is speaking of.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

You missed Nia's ".com".

Paul Davis
    Spectator

@pdavis

Locale: Yukon, 60N 135W

All: I have and use both, mostly as 'sitz' pads in camp or on day hikes, also Evazote as a full-winter pad under a Thermarest LE.

All of my foamies come to me used, some with much use, and the Evazote is clearly superior over the longer haul; it is harder to rip and to crease by folding. It is also more reliable (and warmer!) below -25C where most plastic products get dicey.

Your experiences may vary!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools