Topic

Blog post about Driducks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Blog post about Driducks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Locale: Norway

I've created a blog and my first post is about driducks rain wear. I have some closeup shots that I think may be useful to see.

http://goinglighter.blogspot.com

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Did you happen to get the pants too? If so, I'd be interested in seeing photos of those too. Thanks for posting!

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Rainshield makes a better version. They are a bit more durable than the Driducks version, IMO.

-Sid

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Ive had my Driducks for a long time now, I can't remember how long ago but if must be more than a few years. Its still in perfectly good shape. I only wear it when it rains for the most part and take it off as soon as the rain stops so it doesn't get a lot of heavy use anyway. But hey, its cheap -it works -its light I never felt the need to get a "real" shell since. At least for 3 seasons, winter is another story altogether.
    I dont like the pants and never used them. Instead I used the pants to make a visor for the hood. I just used a plastic milk carton and cut a visor out of it and glued the Driducks material to it which I then glued to the hood -worked like a charm.
    I also have a Rainshield jacket and it is a little more durable and a bit more expensive but still cheaper than conventional rain shells. Both jackets breath way better than the expensive goretex shells. Just another reason to save your money and get a Driducks jacket.

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Rusty,

Sure, I'll post some pictures of those when I get back from work.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

I've been debating on the size for a long time. At first I thought "large" then I settled on "medium". Now, you have me wondering if "small" might be fine.

For reference, I'm lanky at 6' and 160 pounds. I would typically wear the DriDucks over one thin layer of fleece. On rare occasions, I might wear the top over a Western Mountaineering down Flash Jacket.

Pictures and any insight would be appreciated.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I bought a Dri-Ducks Jacket off of the Gear Swap here that was like new only the tags had been removed (so I can't verify the size 100%). I was told it was a Men's Small and it fits me very well (6' 163lbs) and is in fact cut bigger than my Marmot Essence or Golite Phantom in medium. It weighs 5.1 oz if that helps. Another interesting idea that someone on here had, is they bought a big size (L or XL) and wore it over their pack as a jacket/packcover.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thomas,

From the looks of the photo you had of yourself wearing the pants (gone now?) on your blog, it appeared they were plenty long. I can understand a company making them larger to fit over other clothing but this sizing seems so strange.

I guess I'll bite the bullet when the time comes and go with size small…with apprehension.

Thanks.

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Small will probably fit you nicely, and yes – the sizing is strange. Large must be enormous :)

slavenya slavenya
    BPL Member

@slavenya

Locale: Israel

It happened to be that I have all 3 sizes of Driducks.

The smallest out of three is Medium size.
    And the Small is very close to Large.

The difference between sizes about 4cm in length.

Initially I bought Medium for me (6, 170) and Small for my GF (5.6, …).
    But, when first tried – we immediately switched the sizes.

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

That's pretty incredible – can it be because they've done an error in production or adjusted their sizing at some point?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have nothing but problems with the Dri Ducks zippers. Very finicky, and often want to separate as it is zipped up. Sometimes I have to zip it up before putting it on.

I order a Marmot Essence a few days ago and hopefully it will be a good replacement. I can live with a couple extra ounces.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Actually I think the sizing may depend on when they were purchased. I bought a Medium several years ago and it fit perfectly (5'9", 155lb). The next time I bought a set ( about 18 months ago) I noticed that the sizing had changed and I got a Small and it was actually a little large on me.

-Mark

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Driducks pants take a beating if they are a bit long for you. I cut off the trashed ends and my wife re-hemmed. They are short (my wife said they don't look good – I don't care, I'm too old to look good anyway) but now they don't get caught on roots, rocks or ratturds. They have a trip or two left in them.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools