Topic

Getting the back straps closed on a quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Getting the back straps closed on a quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Okay – here goes. I continue to go back and forth on purchasing a quilt. I think I understand the pros and cons, but my next question may come off as a bit strange:

With respect to the back straps, how does one put the quilt over themselves and tighten the straps sufficiently as it would appear that ones arms won't be free to do so? Sorry for the newb question!

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

i hammock dave, so it's not really an issue for me, but i imagine that i'd just inflate my airmat, slip it into the quilt, then tighten the straps, then slip myself down into it

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I imagine you'll get a variety of answers on this. For me, I never use the top strap. Haven't from the beginning. I started using quilts to get away from the closed in feeling I had from sleeping bags. At first, I'd attach the lower strap around my airpad somewhat loosely, but I don't even do that anymore. I put my feet into the footbox and then simply tuck the quilt around me as necessary. I toss and turn a lot when on the ground, so the less constricting the better! In the hammock I hardly move (I do love my hammock!) so once I tuck the quilt in it stays put. In fact, I'm finding the straps to be a bit of a nuisance at times, and am thinking of cutting them off. I would recommend, if you get a quilt, to have it modded so the straps are completely removable. Choice is great!

Joseph Jacaruso
    BPL Member

@captainjac

Locale: Southeast

Like Douglas I don't use the straps either. I took them off and have not missed them at all.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I'm a new quilt user, so the experience level is low. My straps are removable, and if I use them, I can snap off one end with my hand because they are inside the edge of the quilt. But I find I don't like them and like others, I use it like a blanket at home. Best purchase ever made for me.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

I started using quilts this past summer, and my solution to the straps was just to use them, but not put them around the sleeping pad. In the summer, I usually took them off and didn't use them. In the colder temps, I had the lower straps (near the feet) tightened as far as they'd go before I got in, since I knew I wouldn't need much extra space for my legs. For the upper strap, I was able to tighten it with a tiny bit of practice while in the quilt. Hard to explain, but it's not that hard once you get the hand of it.

I know that's not much of an answer, but it's what I've got :)

David Ure

@familyguy

This is exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks all!

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I will toss another wrinkle for you David,

I too mostly just use the quilt without the straps. But I have decided that when it gets cold enough to want the straps to hold the quilt tight under me I just attach them under ME and on top of the pad. I found that it is warmer to pull the edges under my body.

Even when using them under the pad I found immediately that I did not like the top one hooked up.

I will see if I treat the Exp the same once it gets here.

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

Just move the quilt to the side of you while in it and then tighten the straps and twist it around you to the proper position. Its pretty easy and only needed if its really cold and you don't want the possibility of a draft/move a lot.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools