Topic

Savory Steamed Muffin Recipes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Savory Steamed Muffin Recipes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I came up with this recipe this morning in answer to a reader asking for more savory recipes.

Photobucket

Pizza Muffins
    Summary
    Yield 4
    Prep Time 15 minutes
    Recipe Types Fauxbaker
    Description

Steamed muffins full of cheese and seasonings.
    Ingredients

* 3⁄4 c baking mix
    * 1⁄4 c freeze-dried mozzarella cheese
    * 1 T tomato powder
    * 1 t Italian seasoning
    * 6 T water

Instructions

Pack all the dry ingredients into a quart freezer bag.

Add the 6 Tablespoons of water to the bag, seal and knead till well mixed. Be sure to get the corners as well. Divide the dough between the 4 muffin liners (see notes) and drop it in with a spoon or clean fingers.

Fill your pan with about a cup of water. Add in the silicone liners, check the water – it should be over the feet and cover with the pot's lid. Bring to a boil, lower the heat on your stove to a gentle simmering (on canister stoves this will be nearly the lowest setting). Time will be about 10 minutes to steam them. Resist checking for at least the first 7 minutes and if you crack the lid off, be sure to vent it so no steam runs down on the muffins.

Take out and if desired carefully pop the edge of the liner back to pop the muffin out.

Photobucket

I also updated a bit more on the FauxBaker page we keep on our website.
    http://www.trailcooking.com/thefauxbaker/part5

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

Thanks, Those look good, I will have to give that a try. :)

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I just made these, and they are excellent. Since I don't have silly feet muffin cups, I glopped the bag of mix into my 2 cup titanium bowl and set it into my 3 cup AGG pot with about an inch of boiling water. It made a nice snug fit, and I used foil for the lid. It took about 15 minutes to steam.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools