Topic

Custom Tarp Tent for 2 is done

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Custom Tarp Tent for 2 is done

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Ty Wagner

@ty27wagner

Locale: Wisconsin

Ordered a thru-hiker.com tarptent 2 kit and it's done. Added a number of custom features:

1) Large front and rear breaks
    2) Can keep one side of front break closed
    3) Apex vent to allow more ventilation with front break closed
    4) Removable bath tub floor made from two space blankets
    5) Additional 7" of mesh on low side to give ability to raise low side of tarp in good weather
    6) Line locks on tie outs (including low side) to facilitate adjustments
    7) Cantenary curve on ridgeline

Total weight of tarptent with lines, seam sealing, and bathtub floor is 1.5 lbs. Just need to make some light weight stakes.

Gregg Martell
    BPL Member

@gmartell

Locale: Mid Atlantic

a picture or two?

Ty Wagner

@ty27wagner

Completed tarptent

Rear Break

Bath tub floor

Rear Break 2

Corner tie out

cutting the material using a soldering iron-tip cut with a chisel tip

cutting 2nd side

laying out the no-see-um

sewing the tarp together

adding second stitch to ridgeline seam

tie out reinforcement

setup before adding breaks

apex vent pinning

sewing in the zipper

sewing in the zipper 2

pinning the front break

One break open

top frt pole detail

top frt pole detail 2

side view cantenary curve

inside view

apex vent view

one break closed

YAMABUSHI !
    BPL Member

@thunderhorse

I am thinink of tinkering with an existing tent shell i have and doing something like this….

great design!

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Great work Ty,

Cheers

peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

Great process pics! Nice job.
    Peter

Ty Wagner

@ty27wagner

When I seam sealed the tent, I used DAP 100% silicon sealer/caulk mixed in a 1:3 ratio with mineral spirits. I took a while to throughly mix the silicon (used a cordless drill and a bamboo rod).

I used about a 1/2 oz (by weight) to seam seal the ridge line and the break seams. Does this seem about right? I was very careful using a syring.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Ty,

Nice job on the tent, by the way!

Yes, your seam sealing mixture sounds fine. However, I can't speak personally to the syringe method – I use a foam paint brush like Jay Ham used in his article on this site. Works great, and you can watch the seams "soak" up the sealant. I always assumed this way was easier, but I don't know.

Todd

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Great results, looks like it'll make a great 3 season shelter. My brother in law made something very similar to this but for 1 person use off the Tarp Tent website I think minus the bug netting. He has plans to make an optional inner and floor soon.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

You might want to try a corded drill. They spin much faster. Also, a finish nail with a slight bend in it will stir better than a straight rod.

Great, well documented post. Thanks.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

It is actually much easier to mix if you add a little bit of mineral spirit in at a time . If you ever made a white sauce or something like that, it works the same way…(ie you add a little bit of milk, mix, add more)
    No need for drills, I do that by hand inside the bottom of a soda can and with a small paint brush. Takes 2 minutes..
    Franco

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Ty,

Very good pictures of a really great looking project. I'm looking at a similar project for my next sewing machine adventure.

I've been bitten hard by the MYOG bug. The only thing that I have found that helps the itch is working on another project.

Your work is outstanding. Congratulations on the finished product. Get back to us later with a field test report.

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Ty Wagner

@ty27wagner

Field report won't come probably till the end of March since I live near Green Bay. Right now we have about 2 feet of snow on the ground…

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

"No need for drills, I do that by hand inside the bottom of a soda can and with a small paint brush. Takes 2 minutes".

I think you've put your finger on it. With the bent nail, a drill takes about 10 seconds.

Ty Wagner

@ty27wagner

Is using 1/2 oz (by weight) about the right amount of sealant to put on the tarp. I was just trying to soak the threads, not the entire seam area. Just checking just in case I need to put on a second coat.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

I think you've put your finger on it. With the bent nail, a drill takes about 10 seconds
    Yep. But at my age it takes me longer than two minutes to get the drill out, insert the nail, start it up and then put it away when I am finished.
    And I don't have a nail to throw away.
    Anyway, as long as you are happy, I am too…
    Franco

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Who said anything about throwing it away?

I still have it for next time :)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Ty
    Yes , the idea is just to fill the needle holes . Some (me) like to do a second coat anyway and also do underneath. I also give it a thicker coat over the guyout points, but that is just me…
    Franco

John Brewer

@crane557

Locale: Southern California

Looks Great

jeremy duncan

@jeremyduncan

Locale: Midwest

Congratulations!

Looks like it turned out really nice.

I am very happy to see someone whop has completed one of these. Just proves it can be done!

Ty Wagner

@ty27wagner

Finally slept in the tent for the first time – in the backyard. We had significant rain and winds 15-25 mph – perfect time to test the tent. Here's what I found out:

1) No leaks – Yah!
    2) Had some water on the floor from the netting floppng around during the day. The netting is not attached to the bathtub floor. Set some items on the netting and there was no more water flipped into the tent. Will need to sew the net to the floor or use some stragetically placed velcro tabs.
    3) Tent handled the high winds. No water was blown in the tent when the netting was secured
    4) Plan to add some side tie outs to create more interior room on the right side.

Here's some pictures:
    Left hand side

right side 1

right side 2

right side front

inside

Peter O
    BPL Member

@shouse

Locale: Texas!

That setup in the house looks pro.

Tom Peterson
    BPL Member

@tpeterson1959

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm really impressed. I have got to get the sewing machine out…

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Yeah man, that thing looks pretty cool!

I'd sleep in it

Ty Wagner

@ty27wagner

Here's the promised report. My son and I have spent 14 nights over 150 miles of backpacking in this tarptent. 10 nights were at the Philmont Scout ranch. The tent kept us dry. bug free and there was little condensation. There is no evidence of any wear or durability issues.

Before I left for Philmont, I installed a sew-in silnylon floor. I did notice the silnylon floor was slippery and several times we would end up sliding down to the bottom of the tent when on slopping tent sites. Note, most of Philmont's sites were sloped to some degree. Once we realized this was an issue, I looked harder for flatter sites. This eliminated the issue.

The low head room wasn't an issue. I found you can just sit up and let your back push back the tent body to create the extra headroom. I'm 6'1 and felt I had plenty of room.

At the last minute I decided to bring a silnylon stuff sack. Mostly to keep the rain off since I was planning on carrying the tent in an outside mesh pocket of my pack. It was also useful keeping the dirt out of my back. Philmont is a very dusty place – particularly at the camp sites.

At 1.5 lbs, including stakes and carrying bag this was a perfect tent for us.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools