Topic

first aid kit input needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion first aid kit input needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Darwin Roos

@darwin310

Locale: Great Lakes Area

What do you recommend to be included in a first aid kit for 7-14 day trek?

-It will be just me on the trail.

-I will be hiking in the spring or fall, and will be in North America in mountain areas.

-I will be hiking on-trail.

-I don't have any first aid training.

-I don't have any allergies.

Roy Staggs

@onepaddlejunkie

Locale: SEC

Depends. And when I say depends Iā€™m not being a smart a$$. If the trip is where I can bail out with a short hike to a road or trail head I may only carry a small bottle of liquid bandage and a couple of alcohol prep pads to clean the area prior to application. If it would be a major multi day hike out under hazardous conditions my kit would include a lot more equipment including meds, suture kit, trauma dressings, a whole world of stuff. I have a half a dozen kits that I may mix and match to fit what risk I perceive. On a multi day raft trip with multiple participants I carry a large Otter Box packed full of stuff. I generally end up being the Medic on trips because of my emergency medical training. There are a number of good books out there on wilderness first aid that you may want to look into and I would highly recommend that you take a first aid / first responder course. By the end of the training you will not only have a good idea what you need to pack, you will have the training you need to do a good job. I know this may not be the answer you were looking for and for that I apologize but I am a firm believer in training so you can take care of yourself and others.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

The neat thing about first aid (especially wilderness-oriented) training is that your medical kit will get smaller. You learn to do more with less. Most items in bigger first aid kits are things that one can easily improvise in a time of need, but are not as convenient or obvious w/o the training. It also does depend if, for example, you're carrying a personal f.a.k. or if you're carrying one to cover a group of boy scouts.

That said, there was a pretty detailed thread on this a while ago, I'll see if I can find it…

Edit: It was here: "What's in your first aid kit"
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=13691

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Here is what I take:

8 Ibuprofen in a "button" ziplock

2 Benadryl in a "button" ziplock

2 Immodium in a "button" ziplock

1 Single use Neosporin pack

1 Alcohol Prep Pad

1 Single use Super Glue

1 Tincture of Tincture of Benzoin Ampule

3 Feet of Luekotape P wrapped around a section of drinking straw

1 Blister Bandage

1 Safety Pin

and a 4×6 heavy duty ziplock bag to store it all in. The whole kit weighs 0.7oz. The only thing that I ever use from it (knock on wood) are occasionally I will take a Ibuprofen or use some Luekotape.

I realize my kit is minimalist, but I can't imagine too many situations where something else packable would make much of a difference except perhaps a needle, dental floss, and some clotting agent.

Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

Here's my kit:

Anti-Inflams: 8-Advil, 4-Aleve, 2-Excedrin, 4-Bayer Asprin
    Misc. meds: 2-Vivarin, 4-Immodium, 4-Benadryl
    8 – Pepto Bismal tablets
    Benadry Cream in small dropper bottle
    Hydropel in small dropper bottle
    1 foot Leukotape wrapped around a plastic straw
    1 – Single Edge Razor Blade
    1 – Needle nose irrigation syringe, 12cc
    4 – Alcohol Swabs
    Small scissors taken from Swiss Army Card
    3 – Triple Anti Biotic Ointment packs (9g)
    2 – Hydrocortisone Cream packs (9g)
    2 – Burn Jel packs (3.5 g)
    2 – OpSite 4"x5.5" transparent waterproof breatheable bandages
    1 – Surgi Pad, 5"X9"
    Various Band Aids, Blister Pads, Butterfly Closures, etc

This kit would suffice for a four or five day trip, scale it up or down as needed. Weight is about 5.5 ounces, which will be considered heavy by some, but I've distilled this down over the years to what I feel is a very useful and comprehensive kit. Even as a solo hiker there is always the chance you will encounter someone else who is injured. You'll be in a much better position to help if you have some basic tools and know how to use them. Knowledge is weightless, and as mentioned already there are excellent, affordable first aid classes available most anywhere. What you learn there may make all the difference some day.

G

James Naphas
    BPL Member

@naphas13

Locale: SoCal

First thing to do is pack some first aid knowledge into your head. Without knowledge you won't know how to treat a lot of conditions in a situation where you may be days from help, or effectively use what you have with you.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

-Leukotape (12 in)
    -Duct Tape (26 in)
    -Krazy Glue (single use tube)
    -Tweezers
    -Needle
    -Nylon Thread (30 ft)

That's my first aid/repair kit. Weighs well under an ounce. I used to carry a bunch of emergency "just in case" items that I never used. Now I only carry things that I use regularly.

-Sid

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

James brings up a good point about having the knowledge to use the first aid materials. Does anyone have recommendations on good books to fill the mental aspect of the first aid kit?

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Darwin,

>It will be just me on the trail.

There is safety in numbers! 7 to 14 days is a long time to wait for someone to come looking for you if you need help.

Roy,

>I would highly recommend that you take a first aid / first responder course.

Amen to that from a former rescue team member.

Gordon,

> Knowledge is weightless.

What else can you carry that is as useful and is truly weightless?

From Newton,

It ain't a party if you are by yourself! Buddy up!

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools