Topic

A lightweight life.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Alec Farmer

@feltproductive

Hello,

I have been reading this site with interest for quite a while now, and a few things have struck me:

All of the people here are into lightweight backpacking, but I wonder how many carry the same principles into their daily life? Lightweight philosophies seem more and more relevant in todays society:

-Lighter, smaller, simpler kit is likely to be more energy efficient in its manufacture, and its transport (lighter individual items = lighter load on a truck = less fuel) and hence, less damaging to the environment.

– MYOG / Adapting items means more reuse, and less purchasing of new items.

– Lightweight kit tends to be smaller, hence takes up less room in a home, hence requires a smaller home, hence using less materials and less energy.

– Lightweight kit is oftern simpler, hence using less materials in the first place.

– The people on this forum seem very capable of deciding EXACTLY what functionality they require from an item. If we could do this day to day, maybe we wouldnt keep buying 'next seasons model' of things we already own.

Bear in mind that if we apply the same mentality we use when hiking, to EVERYTHING we buy, from a stereo to a dining-room chair, we could actually have a big impact on environmental issues.

It is also interesting that some people here frown on outdoor gear companies making 'fashion concious' gear. While I do not think that fashion should overtake the functionality of gear in the wilds, it is worth noting that many of us probably spend more time at home or at work than actually doing outdoor pursuits. It stands to reason then, that if the shirt we bought to use while hiking also looks good when you head out for dinner tonight, it means you only need ONE shirt, for both functions, not TWO. Multiple use. Thats not a bad thing at all (so long as the functionality isnt compromised by the fashion element.)

Just some food for thought. I would be very interested to hear your responses.

Alec

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

This one is definitely "relative".

I think that compared to most, I live a pretty simple life: no wife, no kids, no pets… I love to travel and all I really need to do is make sure I locked the door on my way out. My travel clothes are my hiking clothes and they are also my everyday clothes. I do have my "society" attire — which I wear only when called for.

When I was working, I saved an average 50% of every dollar earned, after taxes. It's easier to do this because of two reasons: (1) I don't have a family to support, and (2) I am fairly disciplined about spending and know to be content most of the time.

But having recently returned from a trip overseas — when I compare what I have with folks in Russia or Ukraine or China — and especially folks in Mongolia — I am actually saddled with A LOT OF material stuff! I own a house, a car, more clothes than I really need, and just stuff in general.

It's all relative, but I think very, very few of us Americans (or First World inhabitants) can lay claim to "true simplicity".

Alec Farmer

@feltproductive

I agree entirely.

What I am saying is that the people on this site are already thinking along more simplistic lines. On a trip they say 'do I really NEED this?' before they pack an item. They are in the routine of questioning the benefits and disadvantages of the items they carry, because by carrying their 'possessions' for a week, they become more attuned to the physical effect they have on their body.

Its a great start. If BPL philosophy was applied to everyday life, I think the positive effects would become apparent very quickly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"It's all relative, but I think very, very few of us Americans (or First World inhabitants) can lay claim to "true simplicity"."

+1!!

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

A great example of keeping it light are the couple who trekked from Seattle to Unimak Island a couple of years ago. They were in Juneau last December for a slide show and book signing of Erin's Long Trek Home before returning to their yurt in Seldovia, Alaska. This article in the New York Times gives an overview. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/garden/31yurt.html?_r=1

Their website gives a bit more depth http://www.groundtruthtrekking.org/

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Alec:

Methinks that while we may be quite rigorous in deciding what to carry for a week — many of us are actually quite lax in deciding what stuff to add to our gear closets (and all those other closets that we fill as part of "life")!

Off the trail, my hunch is that most of us are not so 'light weight'.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

"This one is definitely "relative"."

I'm definitely with you on this one, Ben. I try so hard to not own many things that will bog me down, especially since I have no permanent residence. Every time I happen to acquire something, one of my first thoughts is "where am I going to put THIS?" Anything I own that I don't use (nearly) every day becomes something that I have to get rid of, because it's just taking up extra space.

And yet I continue to find things that I want (or need… usually want). The more money I save by being frugal most of the time, the more often I think "I can afford to buy that really awesome new toy." In a way, it's a constant battle against the human urge to own stuff. That said, I definitely think I can handle a simpler life than most Americans, as can most of us in the lightweight backpacking community. Yay for us.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I find it ironic that the call here on BPL to be strict with yourself, both practically and emotionally, about what you should and shouldn't bring on a hiking trip so often is argued against when it comes to things at home. A lot of us here, when suggestions are made to lighten up at home, sound exactly like mainstream backpackers do when they view our loads.

My partner is truly ultralight in every sense of the word: Aside from her refrigerator and washing machine, all her belongings can fit into 10 medium sized cardboard boxes.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Miguel:

I agree with what you said about lightening on the trail versus lightening up at home.

And reading Ryan's post — I DEFINITELY feel the constant tug (in me anyway) between the urge to acquire (or at least fondle) and the urge to simplify! I am a gear head and a minimalist both — and it's not always easy!

The Gear Head in me buys stuff a lot, and the minimalist in me feels bonkers whenever I have more than 2 of anything. So thank heavens for 'Gear Swap' and Ebay — they enable me to play with new stuff without cluttering up my gear closet.

YAMABUSHI !
    BPL Member

@thunderhorse

I grew up with fairly little but as I got older the desire to acquire things did present itself. But it was always in the context of "I want this because it does that" not so much "I want this because it looks like that".

So in a sense Function always surmounted Fashion. So I do have things but less than many superfluous goods others have. You can go for a bike ride without a bike, nor climb without a rope,shoes,etc…

But in those areas my cup runneth over… a backpack for this a daypack for that

but i do my best to keep it in check (although once you hit double digits with packs objectivity is just a word)

Seeing things like this and most of BPL takes me back to my ascetic roots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qHlH2yhZpE

http://www.world-architects.com/index.php?seite=jp_profile_architekten_detail_en&system_id=18735

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Unfortunately, a lot of us get tempted by the latest and greatest in lightweight gear. Just as we think we're happy, a newer and lighter item comes out and we rush to buy. While this keeps the innovative gear manufacturers happy and our pocketbooks lean (and often the credit card companies happy, too), this is NOT a low-consumption or simplified lifestyle! Let's not kid ourselves!

I'm just as guilty as anyone, having succumbed to the lure of the NeoAir, only to give up on it and return it to REI (somebody hopefully got a deal on the Scratch-and-Dent sale at Clackamas, OR this past Sunday). I also spent $300 on a new tent (2009 Tarptent/Gossamer Gear Squall Classic) last spring, which was ideal for my needs, only to be tempted once again by Joe Valesko's new Hexamid. No, I don't think I'm going there, but when he gets the 2-person version into production it will be awfully hard to resist!

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

"So thank heavens for 'Gear Swap' and Ebay"

That's how I've been justifying a lot of things recently.

But I'll stand by my opinion that we do better than the average American as far as purchasing habits. Even if we buy quite a bit of stuff, I think with lightweight folks there's more of a consciousness about the usefulness of an item because we're focused on weight. Which isn't to say most people buy things without thinking of usefulness, but like Thunderhorse mentioned in the previous post, function tends to surmount fashion.

Let's see how fast I get shot down on this opinion…. ;)

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

It's too bad our houses and apartments don't usually buckle under the weight of our belongings, or we'd most definitely be thinking more seriously about what we are carrying at home! (I did hear it said once that many areas of the world have sunken below sea level do to all the National Geographic magazines in the attic!)

Alec Farmer

@feltproductive

Its really great to get so many responses. Thanks all.

Any thought more specifically about this idea of making 'fashionable' outdoor gear. Many of us dont choose to wear outdoor gear all the time (like, to work?). So should gear designers consider the fact that in fact, much of our lives are spent 'off the trail'? Should they design clothes that, while functional, dont look too technical to wear out for dinner with the in-laws?

For me, certainly, i dislike the uber-technical looking outdoor gear, simply because I feel concious when wearing it. Is there really any need to look like such a 'pro'?!

Thanks again!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Alec:

There are plenty of technical clothing — simply styled in neutral colors — that will work both in town and on the trail — pretty much for all occasions except for the very formal. They're what I shop for from the get go.

My outfits (ignore the ugly model and just focus on the outfit) — Mountain Hardwear Canyon shirt, Royal Robbins Supplex pants and Duofold 80/20 tees:

abcd

You've just seen my wardrobe for my recent 7-month RTW trip — 2 tees, 1 shirt and 2 pants — plus a Montbell UL down inner jacket and a Patagonia Houdini wind jacket. Very versatile actually. I've been wearing the same types of apparel at home and on the trail for the last 10 years.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

In past threads concerning living a UL life I have been honest. No I don't. What I do on the trail is not who I am at home.

While I don't live in a 5,000 sq ft house we do own our house and for some it might be considered big (Less than 2,000) and we own 3 vehicles for 2 licensed drivers.

I don't wear my hiking clothing in town. I paid too much for it! I don't want to wear it out in all seriousness – I picked it out for a certain reason and purpose. In town I wear khakis, jeans, feminine tops and sweaters.

Same with my house…while we don't have the sheer amount of possessions as many do I see no reason in living with bare walls or sleeping on the floor just for the sake of being UL.

That is me though and what I like. I like having the choice to live the way I deem best – something not everyone has the choice to do.

James Dubendorf
    Spectator

@dubendorf

Locale: CO, UT, MA, ME, NH, VT

Alec,

I think many here would agree that fashion rather than function already drives most mainstream outdoor retailers (i.e. LOOKING technical but not actually being well suited for a particular purpose). Roger Caffin can be relied upon for eloquent, extended diatribes on this subject! I come to BPL to find techniques and gear that reverse the equation and focus on function. I'm not sure quite what you mean by "fashionable" outdoor gear, because to me the term "outdoor gear" already implies a focus on function.

I personally am content not to wear my outdoor gear in normal life. There are plenty of situations where it may not actually fit the ultralight philosophy to use ultralight gear! It is all about context. For example, my ultralight shell mittens sacrifice durability for weight and performance. If I wore them everytime I walked the dog, I would soon wear them out while never exploiting those advantages. So, I have an old, heavy pair of gloves that do the job, but would certainly not be well suited to backpacking, where concerns about weight, protection, flexibility and moisture management would be paramount.

This is not to propose any dogma about gear. Its just to suggest that context is important in these discussions, whether something is labeled "ultralight" or not.

James

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Well lets see…

Seems like the average BPL here has several packs, sleep systems, tents, etc, etc. That would probably equate to a house with several TVs, Stereos, Refrigerators, etc…

:)

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Ben,

You had your fun on a 7-month round the world trip. Now we want to enjoy it as well. How about a trip report? Please!

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Very nice, Ben. It's obvious that you've put a lot of thought into this. Do you have a complete list of your travel gear?

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Great comparisons in the pictures, Ben.

What was your laundry strategy during the trip? Wash in sinks while wearing the other shirts/pants?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ummm… sorry, no trip reports yet. I'll work on it though. But for the complete gear list, please click here.

Ryan — Yes, I wash my clothes by hand at night (takes about 5 minutes) and they're dry the next morning. By NOT lugging dirty laundry all around the world, all I needed was a medium size day pack (32L) and about 12 lbs. pack weight. I don't think my pack was ever more than half full.

Most everything we learn in UL hiking transfers well to UL traveling. And the result is just as rewarding.

But back to topic — one day, some day, I'll "graduate" to UL living as well. One good starting point is probably downsizing my abode from the current 3-bedroom house with yard to maybe a 2-bedroom high rise. The idea of just paying a monthly common-area charge and never having to worry about clearing gutters and fixing roof is becoming ever more appealing to me.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Curious… why is there an assumption that when at home you should live as if you are on the trail? Just as when backpacking I would assume that you "pack" accordingly.

I think the idea of designing backpacking clothing that is fashionable as fun and pleasant. As an artist there is something satisfying and compelling in things that excite the eye. I've always thought it was strange that so many humans admire and get very drawn to animals and plants that are aesthetically beautiful, but they themselves decide to look as drab as dust. The natural world is a treasure trove of "fashion" (and a lot of inspiration comes out of it) and I don't see any reason why we should deny ourselves the satisfaction of looking beautiful ourselves. Personally I love the attire and accoutrements that the Native Americans wore (and also the clothing of 10th century Europe) and think that the unimaginative "tubes" that modern people, especially men with their mind-numbingly limited assortment of black, grey, blue, khaki, white, green, red, and brown colors, wear are dull beyond compare. Modern people are just about the only people in history to be so dull. Even the Inuit and the Beduin in their severe environments made an effort to make themselves look magnificent. Why not us?

This is all for fun and personal satisfaction, of course. Whatever makes each one of us comfortable and happy. (^J^)/"

I am always shocked every time I visit the States, even though I lived there half my life. Everything is huge and exaggerated, even the portions of the food. The housing that the average person has is often far beyond what most people in the world can even dream of, and I'm not talking about the poor. It's true that Japan is the opposite extreme in housing being abnormally small, but amazingly people get by very well and are usually content. I think a lot of how people live depends very much on their expectations and what they've been taught is "normal". When you've been told since childhood that you deserve anything you want and that all of what you want is appropriate then you're going to tend to believe that and work toward acquiring that without a second thought.

I see living UL as not only a personal choice, but as part of a gesture towards the entire community to protect our fragile habitat and making it easier for everyone to live at healthy standard that can only be achieved if goods and resources are not hoarded by a few. Everything comes from somewhere at the expense of someone or some living thing. It is responsible, considerate, informed, and altruistic to live with the community and others' welfare in mind before you, along with millions of others who forget that they are not acting alone, build up a mountain of belongings. Just think, one of the biggest problems in the world today is garbage, mountain ranges and mountain ranges of garbage, everywhere. The shores of Japan are littered with China's garbage, the shores of Hawai'i are littered with Japanese garbage, the shores of Australia are littered with American garbage. Things, things, things, things! And no one wants to connect all this garbage with their everyday life at home. Or else people want to blot out the canker sore of garbage, not even seeing it as real or a problem.

UL living could save the planet and ourselves.

I guess UL words and discussion would be appropriate, too! Sorry for the long missive!

Alec Farmer

@feltproductive

I certainly dont think that any functionality should be lost in the quest for gear to look 'fashionable'. Im not sure fashionable is even the right word.

What I am trying to say (not very eloquently) is that there is no need for gear manufacturers to put all these different coloured fabrics and exposed stitching on garments, which makes them look super-technical. Different fabrics for different panels is obviously important, but why not all one colour. Then these garments would be subtle enough to wear out and about in the city or wherever. I dont want to be wearing really 'technical' looking clothes when I go out for dinner, but nor do I think I should have to have a separate t-shirt specifically to wear for dinner, when that £50 merino t-shirt I just bought would be perfect.

Its about multi-use, in a broader sense. Yeah, this jacket is great for climbing, hiking, skiing, whatever – what about being plain enough to wear to a bar? That is a 'function' too, and all it takes is a bit of thought for the designers to make pieces more subtle.

Im not trying to say that we should sleep on our thermarests on the floor! Thats stupid. But why dont we say 'do I really need to 'carry' this in my life' when we go out to buy homeware? If we did, we might not need to own so much.

Mindlessly consuming just isnt sustainable. The UL mentality, maybe not in terms of the actual weight of items, but in terms of 'multi-use' and crtitically assessing an items worth, is certainly a great mentality to apply to LIFE!

I hope people find this post as interesting as I do!

Anonymous
    Inactive

And reading Ryan's post — I DEFINITELY feel the constant tug (in me anyway) between the urge to acquire (or at least fondle) and the urge to simplify! I am a gear head and a minimalist both — and it's not always easy!

That quote is the same how i feel! When something new or next seasons model comes out i feel the urge to buy it. I'm into dayhiking, running and travel, so awhile back i bought specific things for each sport. A windshell for hiking, one for running and a sepereate one for travel. After reading several "lightweight lifestyle" articles i started thinking why so many different products? Now i'm trying to buy "multi-sport"gear So now i own 2 windshirts one with a hood and one without. These i use for everything depending on to weather i use the one with or without one. But at times when a great new product comes i feel out the urge to buy! i'm trying to resist it but it's hard!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools