Topic

Rain/snow/wind shell for Snowshoeing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Rain/snow/wind shell for Snowshoeing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Gene Neagle

@hafdome

Howdy All,
    I've been lurking for awhile, first post. I recently caught the snowshoeing bug. I hike in the Portland OR area. I am taking a hard look at the Cabelas Rainy River Gore-tex parka as my primary outer shell for winter use. This would be day trips and some overnights. I have a bunch of tops for insulation, I am looking for a good shell. I like the combo of price and waterproof/windproof of the Cabela parka. Any thoughts or recomendations?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I would sweat so much with a parka on. Snowshoeing is HARD work.

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Locale: East Bay

What ever you buy make sure it has pit-zips.

Ruohao Liu

@cloudynesz

Locale: IN

Softshell is tough enough for winter use, no rain during winter.

Gene Neagle

@hafdome

Oregon has lots of rain in any season. In the winter we have a good amount of rain snow mixture.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hey Gene,
    For daytrips and overnighters, you could probably get away with anything that keeps the weather out. I'm not familiar with the Cabelas Parka but I tend to stay away from hardshells in the winter just because I overheat. A softshell is the way to go up here (Patagonia Readymix), but at 0*F, we have almost no chance of rain.

William McCreight

@whmcc

Locale: Oregon, USA

I just picked up an REI Shuksan eVENT parka at their "Scratch & Dent" Sale…for $50 if you can believe it. A lot of those eVENT shells had "issues" with the mating of the zipper at the bottom, so were returned in droves. So if you live near an REI and are a member, catch their next Used Gear Sale, get there early, and hit their eVENT stuff. Can't believe the difference between Gore-Tex and eVENT could be so great, but wear it once or twice and you will be convinced. It seems "colder" but my understanding is that since you are not "condensing" your sweat inside the jacket (and releasing the heat inside the jacket in the process) as with Gore-Tex, with eVENT the heat of water vapor leaves via the pores directly. In winter you may have to wear a bit more insulation as a result.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

If'n I had the greenbacks I'd get an eVent shell like REI's new one.

BTW, usually you don't need pit zips with eVent.

I have a Cabela's Rainy River PacLite GTX rain suit and, for the money, it's a great deal. High quality and thoughtful design, all at a price nobody else can match for Gore-Tex.

Christopher Kayler

@chriskayler

Locale: Outside

I really love my Montbell Peak Shell. Lightweight, pit zips, air permeable fabric just like Event.

sebastian restrepo
    BPL Member

@srestrepo

Locale: Western Mass

I have a cabelas Mountain lite paclite jacket. it could be wide open in teh front with all of the zipper. it feels like you're wearing full on alaskan crab fisherman rubbers… if this jacket you mention is anything like the one i own i dont really recommend it.

i'm not knocking all of their stuff, i just think you should know about this one thing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools