Topic

Alcohol Stoves: Best Simmer Design?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Alcohol Stoves: Best Simmer Design?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Ok so, I've been making different can stoves and such left and right, and obviously there are ten million variations on the theme.

So I've settled on taking two can-type stoves with me at a time. Not really an issue considering the size and weight. I feel like having two specialized stoves is advantageous, especially since I do more than just boiling water. To that end I'm using a penny stove or a regular pressurized can stove.

My question however is this: Which design have people found to be the best for simmering? I know that the open well type can stove works great as a dual purpose stove, but I'm looking for the most efficient design for low-medium heat?

Having two stoves available at once is priceless for more in-depth cooking, and I can fit two down in my pot anyway. Any ideas? Thanks!

Connie Dodson
    BPL Member

@conniedodson

Locale: Montana

Zelph at bplite.com has his "BudLyte Super Stove" he lists for sale at eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-STOVE-SUPER-STOVE-SUPER-STOVE-alcohol-meths_W0QQitemZ250552469468QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a561747dc

I have two, one an alcohol stove and the other a white gas stove.

I also have a simmer ring he suggested. It is a simple design.

The simmer ring is simple to use.

It requires a little experience with your stove, pot, windscreen to determine where you set it in advance.

The stoves are excellent.

Having a white gas option in a 1 oz. soda can stove design I think is a first.

Check it out. Maybe one stove will do what you want.

SUPER STOVE: clockwise alcohol stove, white gas stove and simmer attachment

I am making titanium caldera clones for two different small titanium pots for these two sweet stoves. I will be doing my experimenting on Mt. Hood snow because the mountain is here and I live in the mountains of Montana.

I expect I will stay with this two stove system, to have the most available cooking options, but we will see.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

This is a simmer only stove. I haven't timed it, but It will simmer a good LONG time. That's the usual two soda can bottoms. It's filled with fiberglass insulation and that's a half inch hole in the top. It can be throttled somewhat by a penny.simmer stove

simmer stove with penny

boba fett

@hiflyer

regular penny with the standard simmer ring = 1 hour, 15 min flame off 1.75 oz of alcohol ;)

http://picasaweb.google.com/hiflyer.x/AllThingsPennyStove#

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

thanks man, I'm waaay beyond this now though.

;)

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

> thanks man, I'm waaay beyond this now though.

Anything interesting to report from where you are now?

James Wyrwicki
    BPL Member

@jim1233988

it seems the video on the simmer ring is no longer working. It looks like you just cut a section of a beer can bottle. How tall is it and do you use two different sized simmer rings for the two stoves? I ordered one today and can not wait to test it out.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

I'll make a video tomorrow that will show how the simmer ring works. It will be of the type shown up above in the photo. The one in the youtube video was a prototype and I did not feel comfortable making that design available for use with the stove.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Didn't have time to do the video but got some photos. The ring is made from an aluminum bottle. After a boil is achieved, the flame goes out, refuel, light, place ring over stove, put pot back on, simmer.

<center>

</center>

James Wyrwicki
    BPL Member

@jim1233988

looks easy enough to make. get stove by the way. perfect flame the entire time.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools