Topic

Finished my first MYOG attempt… a summer quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Finished my first MYOG attempt… a summer quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all! I was given the gift of a sewing machine for Christmas, and I have finished my first attempt at MYOG! A down filled summer quilt. This is the first time I have sewn anything other than an attempt at curtains for my pop-trailer… so be kind ;)

Momentum 90 and 6 ounces of Thru-Hiker 800 down. 3/4" nanoseeum baffles, a draw closure and mini buckle to snap the top ends for closing around the neck.

Weighs 12 ounces. I modeled it after the Nunatak Arc Edge, but put a half ounce more down into the bag than the edge. Fits my skinny lil' frame really well. Seems to loft a good bit more than an inch, as the Nunatak edge states 1 inch of loft.

I gave it a quick try last week while camping in Joshua tree. The temps one night dropped to 32 degrees, but when they warmed up to 40 at 5-ish am, I got out of my WM summerlite and got into this quilt and was very toasty! Of course, I was wearing a beanie, a 150 merino LS top and 3/4 merino bottom, a Montbell down inner jacket, and a pair of ankle socks. This was on top of a GG 1/8 thinlight and a GG torso length nightlight. I sleep way cold, and feel (in the above mentioned layers)that I could have pushed it lower than 40… maybe 35.

Fun project! Thanks for looking!bagbag2

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

That's a good looking quilt Alexander! What did you use as a pattern (other than modeling it after the Arc Edge)?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you Douglas! I jotted down the Edge's measurements, and then used a measuring tape to take my measurements. I did the rectangle that tapers in – kinda thing. No real pattern… just marked it out from my measurements on the Momentum, then I went to work. 5" chambers with 3/4-ish" high noseeum baffles. I counted how many baffles were sewn together to form the footbox from the online picture of the Edge. Made my little triangle footbox splitter out of Dyneema X fabric… a little beefy for the application, but I liked the look ;) I used a bit of advice I found that Tim posted in a post by someone who was about to undergo their first quilt… Calculate how much down you will need to fill the top chamber, add 10 percent, and then use that number to fill the remaining chambers. I ended up using 12.5 grams per chamber… and 12 grams in the footbox round at the end, which was split by a 3/4" baffle as well.

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

Looks awesome! I'm looking to make a synthetic quilt. Hopefully with the help of my mom, mine will turn out looking as good as yours does.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Nice looking quilt. I must say a 40 degree capable quilt for 12 oz is a huge winner. I'm considering my next MYOG project to be a summer quilt too. I'm impressed that you went for 3/4" baffles. I will likely just sew thru to make it much easier.

Question…how wide was the quilt at the base of the footbox…34",36", 38"..?

Congrats!
    Jamie

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Andy and Jamie! Jamie, I went 34" on the footbox. 46" at the top of the bag. At 33 inches from the top, I tapered in on down to the footbox. The baffles were time consuming, but now I will be ready for my next quilt for the colder stuff. I will be flogging the WM summerlite, seeing as I enjoyed making this one and would rather make and use my own gear. A smaller pack is next… like my MLD prophet, only smaller for overnighters. I have all the fabrics and materials… No need to spend the big bucks any longer ;) I like to sew…

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Locale: Norway

Your quilt looks great! That's actually my next project, have planned to order the kit today.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I mentioned that it seems to loft a little bit more than an inch… so I snapped a pic this morning…loftquiltloft

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

so it looks like your footbox has a horizontal baffle. I have not been able to figure out how to do these. Would you be able to explain it please?

-Tim

Anonymous
    Inactive

"so it looks like your footbox has a horizontal baffle. I have not been able to figure out how to do these. Would you be able to explain it please?"

Tim, I simply make a round consisting of two pieces of the quilt fabric with a noseeum baffle sewn in at the middle between the pieces, same as the quilt.

I make this down disc larger than the size of the foot box hole. There is also an inch of fabric overage beyond the larger size of foot box disc.

There is also an inch or so of fabric overage at the foot box end of the quilt after the last baffle.

I turn the quilt inside out an then I pleat and pin the foot box disc overage to size it smaller to fit the open round of the quilt's foot box opening. This allows me to sew them together tightly without having fabric excess/possible cold spots between the foot disc and the quilt end.

Turn it right side out, and boom.

That probably doesn't sound right? But that is how I put it together ;)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools