Topic

REI Quarterdome UI

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear REI Quarterdome UI

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Brewer

@crane557

Locale: Southern California

Okay so we all know about REI's great return policy well I bought a tent at the used gear sale. It's a quarterdome UI and I love it, but it's missing the fly. Does anyone have any suggestions? A replacement?

Thanx,
    John

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Call up REI and see if you can get a replacement. Otherwise, eBay, Craig's List, etc. and search for one. Someone here (Doug Johnson maybe?) just recently had a thread about making a tent fly and it ended up being much more costly than it was worth, so s/he scrapped the idea.

John Brewer

@crane557

Thanks for the reply, I was afraid of that. The thing is I got a REALLY good deal on it so maybe I'll look up his post.

John Brewer

@crane557

Does anyone have pictures of thr Quarterdome UL fly?

Thanx,

John

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Make your own fly from silnylon and save some weight. Kust set the tent up and make a pattern with heavy paper and tape directly on the tent.

John Brewer

@crane557

Thanks for the tip. I just want to get it as close as possible.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

John wrote:"Does anyone have pictures of the Quarterdome UL fly?"

Found a photo at:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/REI%20Quarter%20Dome%20tent/Owner%20Review%20by%20Andrew%20Buskov/

REI Quarterdome UL

I've though about taking a decent factory-made tent base and making or adapting a poncho for a fly. My initial inspiration was to do that with a framed bug bivy or one person tent.

The quarterdome is large enough that you might be able to adapt a simple silnylon tarp for a fly, allowing you to use the fly alone when it suits. I assume a poncho would be too small unless you wanted to have tuck-away sections, a la SMD Gatewood Cape. My point is that you don't *have* to follow the original design. Think outside the box– or tent in this case :)

John Brewer

@crane557

Thanks for the reply and the post. I guess I am thinking "inside" the box :).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools