Topic

Lid for Heineken/Fosters canpot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Lid for Heineken/Fosters canpot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

This is not the lightest option (about .5 oz), but it is a very clean looking lid that fits fairly securely. Altoids mints come in square, oval, and circular tins. The lids from the round tins are practically perfect fits for the Heineken can and slightly looser for the Fosters can. When I get a few minutes, I will also try to cut the lip off of the bottom (body) of the tin to see if it works as well/better. It should be the same diameter, but isn’t stamped and might look nicer, be lighter, and can be controlled better in terms of the “depth” of the lid.

Ben

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Cool idea! I’m going to have to try it.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I use the bottom of an aluminum cat food can… it’s exactly the right size and weights 3 grams with a paperclip handle. Check it out. I used an elastic to hold the lid on for packing.

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

David – yep, that’s another good option. I have actually used the top of a cat food can – just removed it, flattened it back out, and bent up the tab slightly to use as a handle.

Ben

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

David, nice setup. very nice, indeed.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Here’s another idea for a lid. I just looped a cord to the pull tab.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools