Topic

M-65 Jacket Liner warmth comparison

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) M-65 Jacket Liner warmth comparison

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Richard Brownkatz

@rbrownkatz

Locale: Southeast

I've recently discovered Richard Nisley's remarkable posts and am trying to find some way to estimate the relative warmth of the military M-65 Jacket Liner, a fairly light (10-11 oz), cheap (mine, used, was $6.98 here http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/0544.html, synthetic insulating layer that dries fast and compresses well. Anyone have any idea what other isulating layer the liner might be comparable to? Anyone have any idea that its clo might be?
    Thanks.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

I found it to be a little warmer than a LS polyester t-shirt plus a 100 wt polar fleece "expedition weight" long-johns top – but only about 1/2 – 2/3 as warm as a 200 wt polar fleece jacket.

Paul Davis
    Spectator

@pdavis

Locale: Yukon, 60N 135W

Hi: There is a lot of market demand amongst the military for a P-loft jacket liner that can look like a M-65 but be much warmer; Brigade Quartermaster has many versions. So my guess is that the M-65 is much less warm than commercial Primaloft jackets—my MEC p-loft jacket is the equivalent warmth to 400 wt polyester pile by personal experience, sorry I have no CLO values to share!

647575757 3

@686425

I used to love my "woobie", as we called them. That is until I did anything active with it one. They don't breathe at all and you get that ohhh so wonderful clammy feeling after any amount of physical exertion. Also keep in mind anything issued to the military is made by the lowest bidder so the materials aren't exactly the best.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

M-65 Jacket Liner Warmth Comparison

The US Military’s insulation value specifications, for the various components of their ECWCS, are listed in the following table. I added the columns for the jacket and pants.

M-65

A M-65 jacket liner, $6.98 and 10 oz, is between the warmth of a Polartec 300 jacket (.92 clo) and a Patagonia PO (1.06 clo). The Polartec 300 and Patagonia PO clo values are from my laboratory test chart previously posted to this forum.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I'm sure going to have to push this to my new Scouts.

Richard Brownkatz

@rbrownkatz

Locale: Southeast

Thank you, everyone, and especially you, Richard. Your posts have been most instructive and very appreciated.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools