Topic

New to this forum gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists New to this forum gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I have been reading this forum since Aug and have gained much knowledge to equip myself for a March 2010 trip to Big Bend Texas for a week. I now have a gear list which is 3-season and thank all of you for the informantion helping me choose the pieces. I will say that after trying many different shoes I prefer the Roclite 315 and for a pack the Opsrey Exos 34 pack.

Pack exos 34 34
    Tent sublite 20
    S bag montbell ss30 20
    Pillow BPL 1
    Pad Neoair short 9
    Pad 1/8” night light 2

Gloves 2
    wind rain jacket 4
    down parka Montbell 9
    Pants BPL 4
    Socks wool 2

light 3
    compass 2
    map 3
    first aid 3.5
    whistle 0.5
    watch thermo 2

soto stove 2.6
    pot .7L, cup, spoon 6
    fuel 100gr 5
    wind barrier 2
    soap 2
    rope 1.4
    lotion, repelent 2
    coffee cup paper starbucks 0.5

Nikon D700 47
    Tamron 28-75mm 17
    Gitzo tripod 24
    filters 2

GG Lightrek poles 8
    Hat 6
    Glasses 0.5
    hoody 5.5
    underwear 2
    pants 4
    Roclite 315 27
    wallet 1
    keys 1
    knife 2
    289.5 ounces or about 18 lbs

Devon Cloud

@devoncloud

Locale: Southwest

hello! sort of new to the site myself, so I am really not one that can tell you how to pack lite, but I am from Texas and now a good bit about Big Bend. are you from the area? The reason I ask is that depending on where you go in Big Bend will depend on what you need to take. If you are staying at the lower altitudes, be very careful in that your days can be very warm, while nights will get very cold. The higher altitudes will be a bit more moderate during the day but very cold at night. As with any terrain, this temperature description is the "norm" for that area and a cold front could change how cold your days are. With desert terain you will need to pack for both extremes as you do not know what you are going to get in terms of weather out there. Most terrain will give you a temperature fluctuation of 30 degrees between night and day, however desert is much greater than that. Nights can be 50 degrees cooler sometimes and you need to pack for both. You will need to pack in all your water unless you will be hiking near the river and be sure to take water purification (not just filtration) if you go there…That river is shared with Mexico and while most N America water is pretty virus free, I would not trust that river. They state to watch out for illegals in the area but I have never had any problems with them although I have seen quite a few.

There are a few streams or creeks here and there on the trails but you will need to know that they are on the trails you are taking to be able to count on them being an option for you to suppliment your supply. Also keep in mind you will need to double how much you drink in those conditions, whether it is cold or not. The dry air will take hydration out of you very quickly… it is more dangerous in the cold than in the heat because you dont feel as thirsty in the cold.

Mark Ferwerda
    BPL Member

@mnferwerda

Locale: Maryland

I did Big Ben a couple years ago in March, and I would echo what Devon said. If I were to do it again, I would hike early and hike late and take a siesta in the afternoon as it was hot by mid afternoon. My shirt was literally white with sweat at the end of each day. Nevertheless, it was one of the best trips I've ever done. Be careful!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Your list looks pretty solid, most the weight is all the camera gear. I assume you don't have any water purification or filtration listed because you plan on toting all the water for your trip? I'm planning on heading out there in late Feb. for the first time. Considering a 3day trip on the Outer Mountain Loop.

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

This will be my first time there. I know I have to carry all my water. I will be doing one overnight to the South Rim. One day hike up lost mine. The rest of the time I will be looking for good sunset, sunrise, moonrise and moonset locations for photography. Middle of the day I will look for a shower or shade or inside meal if it gets to hot. I am hoping I don't get caught on the South Rim with a cold front but that is why I purchased a Montbell inner parka and to Minus33 long johns, should be OK to close to 20 degrees at night. I am from Northern Va and have a little experience with higher elev and desert. This forum has really helped me in gear selection and my gear list was posted so that someone else may get some usefull info from it. I plan to carry 5L of water which is quite heavy. I have been hiking around here with the Osprey Exos 34 to get some feel for the pack and am very happy with the comfort carring 23 pounds. I plan to carry the heavy camera over my shoulder, that worked well on a 9 mile 2000' ascent of Old Rag last fall. I will have about 7 days in the park and am really looking forward to some quiet desert life experience. I will have a full moon rising just after sunset on the 29th. Big Bend chat has been helpful also.
    Thanks very much for your interest. Carl

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools