Topic

Washing clothes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Locale: Southeast

I know that when people go out they only bring so much clothes and that you can wash clothes with a ziplock and some soap but, could you wash clothes with only baking soda? I really dont want to carry camp soap if I'm already going to be carrying baking soda.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Good question. I don't know. I just rinse mine with water and call it washed.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Why not give baka soda a try in the safety and comfort of your home — and report back your findings, please.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

From "How Stuff Works:"

"Baking soda makes a great laundry product because of its mild alkali qualities. Dirt and grease are easily dissolved, while clothes are softened. It is especially helpful ­in homes with hard water because it will clean clothes better, and prevent the stain buildup that can come with hard water."

It also helps with odor control (that's from me, not the site).

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I use just plain water and a large ziplock bag as a human-powered "agitator."

You certainly could use baking soda, but you'd need to carry quite a bit more of it than you'd need as a dentifrice/deodorant/paste for bug bites (the most common uses). Also, remember that the stuff tastes salty. Pour out your wash water on bare ground (so the local deer, mountain goats, or other wildlife won't churn up vegetation trying to get the salt) 200 feet from any water sources.

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Locale: Southeast

Thanks for the input.

So carrying only baking soda wouldn't save much weight as to carrying baking soda and camp soap.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Why carry anything to wash clothes? I walked from Ashland to Mt. Hood with the only clothes washing being done by either swimming or rinsing my clothes in a lake or showering and using pink bathroom soap on my clothes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools