Topic

Mid Feburary SoCal, NM, or TX?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Mid Feburary SoCal, NM, or TX?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Thinking of taking a low-elevation 2-3 day trip in mid-February somewhere in the Southwest.

Cheap flights to LAX, Albuquerque, and El Paso.

I want something where I won't have to battle with too much snow yet won't have to worry about water.

Any ideas out there within decent proximity (4-8 hours) from one of those 3 airports?

How is Big Bend in mid-Feb?

Matt Holmes

@mholmes

Locale: North Texas- Fort Worth

The weather may a little colder than what you expect, it does get cold in Texas.
    Check http://www.bigbendchat.com, it is a site devoted to the place. Plenty of information you can use.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Rancherias loop at Big Bend State Park.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Hey Craig, my vote is for the Gila Wilderness. 2 hour drive from El Paso, TX to Silver City, NM via I-10 and you can be in the backcountry about 30 min. after heading out of Silver City, NM into the Gila National Forest. You can head out into the wilderness from the Gila Visitor Center and either hike west up the West Fork of the Gila River or travel up the Middle Fork, both routes offer plenty of water and great views of the canyon above you and numerous intersecting trails to make loop hikes out of your 2-3 days. Temps can be pretty frigid at night though, teens and 20's are typical for Feb. and snowfall is always a possibility, although precipitation is very minimal (appx. 0.66" for month of Feb.), most of the major weather fronts hit the higher elevations to the west in the Mogollon Range (9,000-10,000+ft.) which are usually sacked in with snow until May or June. Daytime temps in Feb. avg low to mid 50's, although Feb. is a spotty month and you can get a high of 65F one day and a high of 25F the next. Crowds during that time of the year are non-existent. There are a couple hot spring diversions in the Gila Wilderness which are nice destinations especially in late winter.

Since water is a condition of yours Guadalupe National Park is out of the question I assume, although beautiful and only 1 hour drive from El Paso International Airport. If you're willing to tote water then this is a possibility.

Maybe someone else can chime in on Northern NM, but I know most places up there will be quite cold and snow will be an issue.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I don't think you could get in anywhere worthwhile (to backpack) in Northern NM that time of year.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Joe's idea of the Rancherias Loop is a good one, pretty good water supply.

Big Bend in Feb. is sublime, generally 30's and 70's and only .3" rain for the month. It is a bit over 300 miles down from El Paso.

The Outer Mountain Loop in the park is another good choice. do check out bigendchat.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools