Topic

Ways to lighten my pack further

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Ways to lighten my pack further

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nick Kaschak

@ulnick

This is my current gear list. I’m looking for more ways to lighten my load.

GVP Mariposa 14oz
    Tarptent Virga 18
    GVP Polypro groundcloth 1.5
    Therm-a-rest Z-lite 7
    Marmot Hydrogen 21
    Long underwear top 6
    Bottom 5
    Snow Peak Pot 3.7
    Snow Peak Spork .5
    Snow Peak White Gas Stove w/bottle 16.5
    Headlight 2.5
    Golite pants 5
    Sherpa Adventure Jacket 4
    Plus other random gear

Thanks

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Hey Nick. Could you share what kind of seasons/ weather/ geography you’ll be using this list in? It looks like a great list. The only thing that really jumps out to me is the stove–spending $1-10 to switch to an alcohol or esbit stove could save you almost a pound right off the bat.
    -Mark

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>Snow Peak Pot 3.7
    >Snow Peak White Gas Stove w/bottle 16.5

Any particular reason for using a white gas stove? Switching to a home-made Pepsi-can alcohol stove (0.5 oz), Heineken-can pot with lid (0.7 oz), pot stand (0.7 oz), foil windscreen (0.8 oz) and water-bottle fuel bottle (1.0 oz) will save you a pound (-16.5 oz).

Nick Kaschak

@ulnick

This is mostly 3 seasons gear. I live in Southern California and backpack mostly in that area but also do some backpacking during the summer in New Hampshire. Also any suggestions on learning to make a alcohol stove.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

agreed on the stover, white gas is a tad overkill. Try an alcohol stove and see how that works for you. As for your shelter? I live in California (northern) and I use a Integral Designs Sil Tarp (a little over 7 oz.) and a BMW Bivy that is around 7-8 oz. and a GG Spinnsheet glound cloth that weighs in at 3 oz. modified. That would save you some weight too. Also what are you putting you food in? Depending on where you go? Restrictions apply. Even if counter balancing you have weight added.

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Check out http://zenstoves.net/ for information on making stoves.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Just a few things you could save weight on – about 30 ounces:

White gas stove 16.5 / Esbit burner: 10×1.5 expanded aluminum ring, 0.5 oz.

Snow Peak Pot 3.7 / Bean can pot, 0.3 with Ziploc storage cup, 0.3

Headlight 2.5 / microlite with aligator clip on strip of elastic, 0.8

Tarptent 18 / cape/tarp, 9

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

“Plus other random gear”

DANGER Will Robinson, DANGER

Etc is such a big word for me :)

Like other’s said, you’ve got the basics down, but the stove is heavy unless you have big group.

Now that I have discovered the little 110g gas cannisters, I’m using a Coleman F1 for overnight or family trips and alcohol for longer trips solo. For family/group trips, a gas canister stove can turn out a lot of hot water in a hurry (as can your white gas rig) and everyone can take a cannister, spreading the fuel out.

After doing the math on the weight of a Trangia alcohol burner (much heavier than the pop can goodies @ 4oz), windscreen, pot stand and a small bottle of fuel vs. the Coleman F1 and one 110g cartidge, the Coleman looked good with near equal weight and really quick boiling times. The alcohol stoves get lighter in proportion to how many days you are out because of fuel and container weight.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools